Shimano citica e problem

trevor van dam

Hey guys, so I was fishing with my citica a couple of days ago. And I was using a 1/2 oz bait, and it wouldn't cast far ( I had the spool knob really loose, and I only had 2 brakes on) also, when I was casting, it felt like there was no lure on the end of the line....weird. And I heard the gears slipping when I was casting. So now I'm thinking, that it needs to be serviced or looked at. What do u guys think I should do, or where to go?

Thanks TVD

If the spool knob was really loose, it was most likely "knicking" the pinion gear on the cast. Tighten the spool tension knob until the spool has very slight side to side play. Turn off all the brakes, and fling away.

You can pop out the spool and put a drop of oil on the shaft, then replace. Should smooth it out some.

If those don't work, there MAY be something else going one, but it's really hard to diagnose issues online :lol:

Geoff

The citica has a very tight specs and only one part needs to have grease on it. Any type of excessive water, oil, dirt, ext will make it harder to cast. I did manage to find an official service video on YouTube about it (YouTube is blocked at work so I can’t get it right now), I followed exactly what they did and have had no problems with my citica. :D

All fisherman should.learn to service their reels.its not hard at all. Check to make sure the line isn't wrapped around the rod killin the cast.

100% agree. Planning on doing some maintenance videos once I get a camera. Hopefully I'm August for my bday.

Makes life easier, and your reels will last a long time.

Geoff

@jonj what's the Name of that video that ur talking about? You tube is working for me.@urbanhick I did check to see if there was any line wrapped around the rod, and there wasn't. Does anybody have any suggestions on people/places that service reels? Preferably local ( I live in San Jose)

@jonj what's the Name of that video that ur talking about? You tube is working for me.@urbanhick I did check to see if there was any line wrapped around the rod, and there wasn't. Does anybody have any suggestions on people/places that service reels? Preferably local ( I live in San Jose)

Trevor, type in shimano maintenance and it should come up.

I run animal house reel service down in socal, can gladly take a look.

Local to the san jose area you have Reel-Ex, Dan Isaac. He used to be a service tech for shimano. Don't think he does local drop off, but his turn around is quick.

If Hi's tackle box does reel service, that's another option. Do a search for reel repair in your area and look for reputable people.

Geoff