Measuring boards

BassinMass978

In need of an upgrade.

I have been using the WCZ travel board and it’s alright, but I don’t love it.  The WCZ wooden boards seem legit if you can find one and clear/epoxy it to last, but I haven’t had any luck scoring one. 

curious what measuring boards others are using and what your favorite is. Doesn’t have to be a travel board, can be one that stays rigid too.  I do prefer to have the “bumper” for the mouth 

19 minutes ago, GoodVibez_TightLines said:

hit up your local hardware store, buy a plank (cut to size) and glue your traveling board to it. may not look as pretty and fancy as the others but it’ll do the trick 

I did this while I was repairing my wooden board. The board had a lot of water damage so I stripped it of the old coat and put 3 coats of spar-urethane on, was about a week long process, but fixed it up great

original_25a568e1-1b8f-4750-94ae-9cdd7b277a59_20210505_124556.jpg

20210510_162325.jpg

20210518_125236.jpg

20210510_165557.jpg

20210518_125241.jpg

20210509_144811.jpg

20210518_125223.jpg

22 minutes ago, CG_Fishes said:

I did this while I was repairing my wooden board. The board had a lot of water damage so I stripped it of the old coat and put 3 coats of spar-urethane on, was about a week long process, but fixed it up great

original_25a568e1-1b8f-4750-94ae-9cdd7b277a59_20210505_124556.jpg

20210510_162325.jpg

20210518_125236.jpg

20210510_165557.jpg

20210518_125241.jpg

20210509_144811.jpg

20210518_125223.jpg

sweet! great minds think alike haha but man that wooden board is something else, and good catches on it too! 

I got you.  I have actually been collecting footage for a video on this.  The WCZ travel board is great for what it is, but the fact that it isn't rigid can throw off the perceived measurement unless you lay it on something absolutely flat.  I also have the wooden board from the very first release.  I love it for style and panache.  Mike saw the opportunity for taking something mundane, and made it cool.  I mean, since when has a measuring board been so desirable?  My two gripes with the WCZ board are that eventually the clear coat/finish will wear off and then the color bleeds like a mutha.  Perhaps they have a more formidable coating on them now, like I said mine was the original, but I have heard from other people the same....the stain bleeds bad once that coating wears.  More importantly than the aesthetic is the functionality.  As we should always wet a board before putting a fish on it, fish really tend to slide on the WCZ. This is due to the lack of a bump board for them to rest against as well as the relatively flat design. It is slightly concave, but not functionally so (see third image below). Many times I had put a fish on, and by the time I stood and framed the picture, the fishes nose had slid, either + or - from zero. Frustrating for you, but worse on the fish to keep them out of water longer to reposition and get an accurate image.  As you stated, a bump board is desirable.  Depending on your camera and distance distortion is a very real thing.  Without a bump board it may look like the nose of the fish is either past zero to the left (losing length) or the right (adding length) even if it is truly on zero.  A bump board guarantees your image, regardless of distortion, represents the accurate length of the catch. (hence the reason all length based tournaments require such a board).  

Having said all that may I recommend the Yak Gear (Fish Stik) measure board.  

-It is wide and functionally concave so as to cradle fish

-Bump board with line pass through

-Folds!  Goes in any backpack without sticking out.  Rigid mechanism does not flex once latched, ensuring accurate measurement.

-Floats

I hope this helps.  I plan to get that video up pretty soon as this is a niche, but important topic in the world of pursuing giant fish in both weight AND length.

Carl /  Keepin' It REEL Fishing

Four boards.jpg

Nose on bump.png

Concave.png

bioard.jpg

Edited by KeepinItReelFishing

On 5/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, chefchris said:

Gomexus has a nice travel Board with a clear lip plexi bumper to snug the fish up against and it’s like $20 

might grab one of those and do something similar as well. 

i like having one for each boat so I never forget em 

That gomexus with the plexi lip reminds me of something I tried to make with my WCZ travel board last season. Still holding up but it’s crude.  For $20 It’s totally worth trying out. Good looks! 

the ketch board is pretty beefy, but i like mine, all sorts of colors and all that to choose from.  i think i went through like 4 or 5 hawg trough boards breaking on me and then finally bought the ketch and it's nice.  i mean it's heavy and doesn't float so that's something you gotta consider...

b1.thumb.jpg.7321caa6a06316c4d05025dccd40eaa2.jpgb2.thumb.jpg.8abd79dd0fa855814402ab0ea365e9a6.jpg