iRod Bailey Swim

BigSpirit

Wanting to dabble into bigger baits than what I currently throw. Would like to move into an 8” hudd this coming winter and a deps 250 at some point when my budget allows. 

I know there’s not a rod that will do both great, but is this an option that could handle both of these baits? 

Also like the Phenix m1 inshore that’s 3-8oz but it’s an extra fast so different action than the iRod and it’s a bit more in price. 

I’m not sure how the M1 will be with soft baits like a hudd cause I don’t throw any paddle tails or wedge tails but I throw K9s Flag 255 and a few smaller glides on mine. Also topwater baits like Joker and Sac Pig Crawler Rat. Great rod 

46 minutes ago, BayAreaAngler said:

I’m not sure how the M1 will be with soft baits like a hudd cause I don’t throw any paddle tails or wedge tails but I throw K9s Flag 255 and a few smaller glides on mine. Also topwater baits like Joker and Sac Pig Crawler Rat. Great rod 

Just to clarify, do you have the m1 or the m1 inshore? The inshore is the 3-8oz Xfast while the m1 is a mod-fast and rated for 1-6oz. 

8 minutes ago, BigSpirit said:

Awesome, what line do you run on your setup? Spec wise, I feel like it would be good for single hook soft baits too

I run 20lb PLine CXX on my setup. I haven’t gone above or below 20 lb, Nd yea I think it will work fine with those baits. 

I recently got the Bailey Swim and am very pleased with it.  For comparison I have a Savage Gear Browser XH and a LDC White Label XH.  I know Paul (Bailey) bills the rod as a do everything big bait rod.  So far I have used it only with soft baits in the 5oz range (8" Hudd, 7.75" Real Prey) and I feel it handles that weight beautifully.  I intend to throw my Deps 250 on it, but have yet to do so. 

The rods balance is good for a production rod (the LDC has better balance).  

The LDC being more parabolic is easier to cast as the rod more readily stores energy and does the work, having said that I'm pretty sure I get better overall distance though with the iRod. It requirew a little more effort, but it seems to me gets a bit more distance.  I really have to measure with my line counter.

If it matters the iRod is modular.  The entire handle assembly separates from the blank. But, assembled there is no perceivable difference in performance to me between it and my single piece rods.

-Carl

Edited by KeepinItReelFishing

I can’t speak for the current Irod Gen III Bailey Swim. But I have a Gen II that’s around 5 years old now. The ratings have changed on the current Gen 3 rods. The current rod with the same specs as my Gen II are now the XL Bailey Swim XH. But my rod is a beast. I threw 9oz glides on it without any issues (Gen II is rated to 10oz). Also threw 8” Hudds with ease. 

Mine is a broomstick with enough tip to help launch heavier baits and bury 3/0 3X Mustad Musky hooks on bass. But I had to keep the line tight and use my drag properly with more brittle hooks like the ST-36 or Gamakatsus in 1/0-3/0 to keep bass pinned and not straighten or break a hook while keeping heavy pressure on the fish. 

I no longer use that rod for hard baits since buying my Dobyns rods. The longer handle and the way they load up…even the 908 just makes casting, working big heavy baits and landing bass easier. My older irod is now used for big soft baits. It works great for Wade Froggs here in the slop. Plenty of power to drive the Beast hook home in thick milfoil and eel grass. 

I doubt any of this is very helpful to your question. But I can say that I have abused mine hard for many years and it’s held up to the abuse. Never any issues whatsoever. 

211147B3-7AC8-40E1-8CBA-B05FB1B88967.jpeg

2 hours ago, KeepinItReelFishing said:

I recently got the Bailey Swim and am very pleased with it.  For comparison I have a Savage Gear Browser XH and a LDC White Label XH.  I know Paul (Bailey) bills the rod as a do everything big bait rod.  So far I have used it only with soft baits in the 5oz range (8" Hudd, 7.75" Real Prey) and I feel it handles that weight beautifully.  I intend to throw my Deps 250 on it, but have yet to do so. 

The rods balance is good for a production rod (the LDC has better balance).  

The LDC being more parabolic is easier to cast as the rod more readily stores energy and does the work, having said that I'm pretty sure I get better overall distance though with the iRod. It requirew a little more effort, but it seems to me gets a bit more distance.  I really have to measure with my line counter.

If it matters the iRod is modular.  The entire handle assembly separates from the blank. But, assembled there is no perceivable difference in performance to me between it and my single piece rods.

-Carl

Just the kind of info I’m looking for! Have you had any issues getting good hook sets with the soft baits you’ve thrown? 

1 hour ago, SVT THUNDER said:

I can’t speak for the current Irod Gen III Bailey Swim. But I have a Gen II that’s around 5 years old now. The ratings have changed on the current Gen 3 rods. The current rod with the same specs as my Gen II are now the XL Bailey Swim XH. But my rod is a beast. I threw 9oz glides on it without any issues (Gen II is rated to 10oz). Also threw 8” Hudds with ease. 

Mine is a broomstick with enough tip to help launch heavier baits and bury 3/0 3X Mustad Musky hooks on bass. But I had to keep the line tight and use my drag properly with more brittle hooks like the ST-36 or Gamakatsus in 1/0-3/0 to keep bass pinned and not straighten or break a hook while keeping heavy pressure on the fish. 

I no longer use that rod for hard baits since buying my Dobyns rods. The longer handle and the way they load up…even the 908 just makes casting, working big heavy baits and landing bass easier. My older irod is now used for big soft baits. It works great for Wade Froggs here in the slop. Plenty of power to drive the Beast hook home in thick milfoil and eel grass. 

I doubt any of this is very helpful to your question. But I can say that I have abused mine hard for many years and it’s held up to the abuse. Never any issues whatsoever. 

211147B3-7AC8-40E1-8CBA-B05FB1B88967.jpeg

Definitely not unhelpful - I do hope though that the Gen3 Bailey swim would be stout enough so I don’t have to to the mag though. I feel if I went that route I would have a gap in my lineup 

The baileys swim H was my first swimbait rod, and threw both the hudd and the 250 on it for a while. In my opinion, it handles the hudd perfectly, and has the exact action I look for in a all around softbait rod. For me, it has too fast of an action with the 250, and would often not handle treble-hooked fish well. 
Even though it is probably out of your budget, in my opinion the best rod to handle the 250 and the hudd would be the LDC XH. 

I currently have the IRod Air 710 Bailey Swim and confirm it can throw both the Deps 250 as well as 8" Hudd well. It is a faster action than a Dobyns 806 or 867, but it is much lighter. Would be a great do-it-all stick for 3-6oz.