Bowfin Smashed Rat

BPayne

Good morning Underground!  I went for a bit of bank beating in the dark early this morning to try and get my fishing fix and beat the heat.  Early on, I had two massive blowups on the OD XL (Odie) but failed to keep the fish pinned.  This was very frustrating and disconcerting.  Just when the day started to first break and the heat started cranking up, I gave Odie a nice short 30ft cast into a cutout in the bank and began retrieving it about 8” parallel to the shoreline.  A few feet into the retrieve, I got a VIOLENT explosion on my rat, followed by a pretty stout fight.  I’ve seen bowfin before, but this was my first time catching one.  He managed to completely mangle the split ring on the back hook doing his best impersonation of a croc death roll.  Overall, pretty cool experience!  Cheers!

6AD4B76A-8919-4DC7-9E16-D91334978A14.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FishDr said:

Nice! Definitely a fish on my bucket list.

There are some giant ones at this one spot I go to, but I’ve never targeted or even caught one there.  This one was a complete fluke lol