Glide Bait Reel Gear Ratio - Specific Small Glides

Fatika79

Just getting into 1-3 oz max single joint glide baits. Been cutting my teeth with 115 slide swimmer, R2S 168, Jerry rago cha cha. Will be trying out g-ratt sneaky and baitsanity antidote glide soon. I've used both 7:3:1 and 6:3:1 reels. I really wanted to try the Tatula 150, but as a left hander, they only make a 7:3:1 / 30.5 " per crank..........I am really curious about the Tatula 150 to double as a heavy cover flipping reel, so I ordered it. Will be using with the 7'3" heavy tatula swimbait rod rated up to 4 oz. Plan on throwing with 16-18 # Daiwa Samurai flouro.   From my experience, the 6:3:1 / 30.5 " per crank reel I've used seemed not personally preferable when imparting manual gliding cadences with fractional reel turns. Felt like I would have to do a 1/2-3/4 of a handle turn to get the desired action. Would prefer around 1/4 turns to get desired manual action.

I understand gear ratio has been discussed many times before on this forum. 

Any feedback regarding your experiences with this reel or similar reel speeds is welcome. Also, any experience or recommendations with your success with working any of these specific glide baits would be much appreciated. Different cadences, whether it's just straight retrieve, manual glides hybrid of multiple different actions/techniques.  Rod movement involvement or not. I'm in Illinois, so any recommendation of northern midwest success regarding actions/cadences/speeds during specific seasons would also be great! Regardless, any experience and advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time! Peace and hope all is good! 

you should be fine with a tatula 150, with the line you want to use and also your using small baits it should be fine unless you want to bomb cast a bait. and with the gear ratio well with a small bait you arent drawing fishing with the size of the bait but you are with the action of the baits so making it go all over may draw some bites.  also if you dont mind me asking what part of IL are you in?

On 9/7/2022 at 9:26 AM, jp_midwest said:

you should be fine with a tatula 150, with the line you want to use and also your using small baits it should be fine unless you want to bomb cast a bait. and with the gear ratio well with a small bait you arent drawing fishing with the size of the bait but you are with the action of the baits so making it go all over may draw some bites.  also if you dont mind me asking what part of IL are you in?

@jp_midwest Thanks for the feedback! I'm from the north Chicago suburbs. How about you?