Looking for advice on reel choice

cincinnatiking

Hi, I'm brand new to this site. I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place. Hopefully it's not a question asked too much because I couldn't find a specific answer in previous posts. New to bigger baits and SU. Just picked up an 8ft heavy Daiwa DX yesterday. I need a bigger reel for it. Been using a Curado K 200 I currently have a Magdraft Freestyle, 8in Keitech Easy Shiner, and a 6.8 Keitech Impact Fat. I'm looking to get a weedless Huddleston, American Trash Fish, and a 7in Citizen in the future. I tend to stay weedless fishing from the bank. My question is about inches per turn with reels. What would you choose if you were using these baits? I have the money for a Tranx 300, 5:81, 30" per turn, but not sure if I'd be better off with a Curado 300K, 4.7:1, 25" per turn, or if I should be going faster with a Tatula 300, 6.3:1 with 33.5" per turn. Is it just a matter of preference, or does it actually make a difference?  Thank you for any help! This forum is a treasure trove of information 

Welcome!  For the baits you mention, you've already narrowed down great potential reels nicely.  In my opinion the pick of the litter for the application specified is the Curado 4.7:1.  Love mine and think you'll have great success too!  Best of luck!!!

1 minute ago, ikaika said:

Check out the Tatula 200.  28" per turn, holds more line than the Curado or Tranx 300, and weighs 3 ounces less.  The Curado and Tranx 300 are great but overkill for this application imo.

I have a Curado K 200 already.  Wouldn't that be pretty similar to a Tatula 200? That's what I've been using, but it's a 7.4:1. Feels a little fast for those baits, and there's not much line left after a bomb cast 

For those soft bait applications I don’t run anything over like a 6.0:1 gear ratio, I tend to stay in the low to mid 5s as far as gear ratio goes. The tendency is to fish soft baits much faster than they should be fished unless the fish are telling you otherwise of course. When you get to the glide baits you’ll want to step up to reels 7.0:1 or faster just for the ease of keeping up with the glide and the workability you have over glides with faster reels. At the end of the day nearly everything about reels/rods is personal preference but in my opinion thats how I would start, hope this helps and welcome to SU

13 minutes ago, cincinnatiking said:

I have a Curado K 200 already.  Wouldn't that be pretty similar to a Tatula 200? That's what I've been using, but it's a 7.4:1. Feels a little fast for those baits, and there's not much line left after a bomb cast 

The Curado 200 only holds 155 yards of 10lb mono.…the Tatula 200 holds 150 yards of 20lb. There isn’t a standard for what a “200” size reel necessarily means so you have to look at like capacity to get a meaningful comparison.

42 minutes ago, ikaika said:

The Curado 200 only holds 155 yards of 10lb mono.…the Tatula 200 holds 150 yards of 20lb. There isn’t a standard for what a “200” size reel necessarily means so you have to look at like capacity to get a meaningful comparison.

I question those specs, I've owned them both and I don't remember the diawa holding nearly double the line. I also think they are both rated to hold around 200 yards of 30lb braid, if I remember correctly.

A Tatula 200 doesn't really compare to a Tranx/Curado 300. I think people underestimate the shimano 300's because the amount of performance they offer isn't utilized while bass fishing. They are the same reel for the most part and I've caught numerous fish over 50lbs on a Tranx, as well as know people who have landed sharks and tarpon well over 100lbs without issue.

21 minutes ago, rwp said:

I question those specs, I've owned them both and I don't remember the diawa holding nearly double the line. I also think they are both rated to hold around 200 yards of 30lb braid, if I remember correctly.

You’re right; 190 yards of 0.28mm diameter braid for both per the mfg websites despite the massive difference in mono capacity on the same page. Spool diameter on the Tat is 36mm and the Curado is 32mm with the same width. I guess it’s possible arbor diameters are different enough to even this out but I don’t have empty spools to measure to confirm.

Regardless, it’s definitely not double so I stand corrected. My bad, sorry for the confusion!