Newb, Whats up with swimbait availability and and prices ?

Basscaster

It seems like swimbaits hold their value or increase in value. is there a limited amount of swimbaits on the market ?? Are the manufacturers catching up ? Are they limiting their production to keep values high, quality control high or are just small companies. What about these weekend or 1 day sales(Why not just sell them all the time and make them when orders come in) ? ? Does anyone have any idea of how many they sold(just curious) ? Any info on the crazy way these guys make baits would be helpful to understand the market.

I disagree...the amount of time it takes them I feel most are fairly priced and the small bait companies seem to have way better customer service,I also like the fact that they are hard to come by....you have to be pretty dedicated to keep up with it all..keeps the fly by night "I wanna throw swim baits for a week" guys away

I disagree...the amount of time it takes them I feel most are fairly priced and the small bait companies seem to have way better customer service,I also like the fact that they are hard to come by....you have to be pretty dedicated to keep up with it all..keeps the fly by night "I wanna throw swim baits for a week" guys away

100% converted no more sissy drop shottin for me :lol:

All I know is I'd rather have 1 nice handmade smaller production swimbait like say, a Triple Trout, than 20 Rebel PopRs or Strike King Cranks

I don't disagree. But $400 for a RM is pretty much assuring I'll never be able to get one. It's insane.

I agree the Mother is a little ridiculous in price but none of my rods could handle it anyway. The other RM baits aren't too expensive, and quality is top nottch

From A baitmakers perspective (Real Prey Swimbaits ) Almost all the baits are custom made one at a time as the orders come in. There are far to many models, sink rates and color combinations to try to have an inventory of each. The cost of the materials I use along with the time it takes to make and paint the baits also makes it tough to hold an inventory. If I charged any less than I do know my own pay rate would drop below minimum wage. Most of the reward for me comes in the stories, pictures and phone calls I receive from customers who almost always end up as friends. If any bait makers are getting wealthy doing this I can tell you I'm not one of them.

Joe

I am not complaining on swimbait prices. I want to know if the demand is higher than production. I also want to know if it is easier to get swimbaits today than it was 2 years ago ? 5 years ago ? Also how often are swimbait makers making their most popular models lately ? 1/2/3 times a year ??

I am not complaining on swimbait prices. I want to know if the demand is higher than production. I also want to know if it is easier to get swimbaits today than it was 2 years ago ? 5 years ago ? Also how often are swimbait makers making their most popular models lately ? 1/2/3 times a year ??

For high quality baits the demand is much higher than production. The biggest reason is people fishing swimbaits still want stuff that's not even being produced yet. The people know what they want but nobody is making it or making it as a high quality bait. Look at the Mattlures guess the bait threads and you can see a lot of baits and sizes people want that nobody even makes.

But 5- 10 years ago it was much worse. You were stuck with junk baits or the few quality baits that were out there. Very few companies made anything other than trout baits. The few new companies that started up wanted to make nothing but triple trout knockoffs to meet the "demand". In the end none of them really met the demand because they just made inferior knockoffs. Junk baits still sit in tackle shops until they get marked down so low people can't refuse them. I know where there is a small tackle shop that still has Reaction Strike baits that have been there for years nobody will ever buy at retail and they got those baits from another larger tackle shop on clearance that that shop couldn't sell. The biggest demand in the swimbait business isn't for the baits themselves but for people/companies who will make a high quality bait that isn't a copy or real close to something else. There is still a real shortage there. Perfect example is I just got my first lipless rat from Jason Kincanon this week although I have needed a lipless one for a while but nobody made one.

I spend time every week building baits for orders, developing new baits and testing baits. Some bait makers have gone to the release date system and I don't know much about this way of doing things but it does seem to create a certain anticipation factor. I am more comfortable getting orders in and shipping baits out on a more consistent basis.

Joe