I suck at fishing, but I can still land them sometimes

CG_Fishes

Went out today for a few hours hoping for some pike and walleye before I head back to school. Got to the spot and immediately missed a pike, it felt small so I wasn't bummed. 30 mins later I hook up to a high 20s and lose it half way in. I'm starting to get a little frustrated at this point. I walk around the area to some spots I never do well at but always try and don't move a thing. I get back to the main area around sunset and get another small pike to wat at my feet around dark. Again, the fish comes of as I'm letting it roll around before it slices my hand up. 20 minutes later it's now dark dark and the walleye are ready to eat, and I found this out when it felt like I hit a brick wall and one of the biggest walleye I've ever seen comes up. 2 head shakes and she's gone, I was pretty gutted at this point nothing was going my way. Next cast I hook up again and finally get a fish to the bank, a respectable 20" walleye that was absolutely dwarfed by the first, I'm estimating 26-28". 

20221126_170717.thumb.jpg.59a7ac8e736890d09c9df766409a4da2.jpg

Let that fish go and 2 casts later another small walleye that I lose at my feet, just to rub in how sucky I am at landing fish apparently. 

Something I have noticed fishing for walleye with big baits at night is that I have like a 15 minute window in which I get strikes. Has anyone else experienced this? I get so excited that the bite is gonna keep up and then it dies as quick as it starts.