Bait Making Confidence

ctbrahan

While home from college I decided that this was the year I was going to finally finish some wooden baits I had been procrastinating on. The first bait that I made 3 years ago was to sort of imitate a MsSlammer, my dream bait as a kid. The overall design was quite crude and despite being around an ounce and a half, I thought the bait was way too big for NH Bass. It took about two years to get this bait from an idea to an actual bait with hooks.

0?ui=2&ik=4ba0f77d5f&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1754783285435211862&th=185a3e19d228a056&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8GQKbJ8fVxYPTF9HwFV-6ykwwwz6WlH33IRYdU2g3_vMSqjr9xf8eJFTJG2nakoxv8nsVmpdtUv6YRd1LI9ppdyPijuiDub7r3tjoQE8etPhW8zZZpFyiFSdI&disp=emb&realattid=9457b691255a1cd4_0.1.1

When I completed this bait with a quick paint job in 2021 I kept it in my tackle box almost as a joke until I threw it for the first time in 2022 in the springtime in Maine. That day I landed my only two largemouth of the trip on the bait in 42 degree water. One waking it, the other walking it.

0?ui=2&ik=4ba0f77d5f&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1754783741798283705&th=185a3e84138479b9&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8Yk-cywq_gr5L8kZZYZiojuaSGyQVgBLlBOfAYlKhGe70xU0fChVXSiWJTC41VpUNKhah0HM7ppcb4n4uK2sFedpyzTOd6elRfaTdWieWkMKx-YoZBebDRvus&disp=emb&realattid=c63556112d2a622d_0.1.1

I later lost the bait in a tree after missing a hookset and was inspired to build more baits this winter. The first bait to finish was a smaller rat I had started the carving on in 2020 and never finished.

image.thumb.png.5e137a64d39c7766fbdd41e900c260d8.png

image.thumb.png.031b538ed6e98a6deb2976972ea1bd68.png

I played around with some new paints, got the bait clear coated and ended up with this rat. 1.75 ounces and 4 inches long without the tail.image.thumb.png.8d39ef14e1d9a5c15a364fb0dbedf093.png 1

After completing this bait and being happy with the results (has a great controlled wake in the water) for not having any power tools I spent way too much time sawing, sanding, and filing for the next and more ambitious bait, a three piece wake out of poplar.

image.thumb.png.c6b02b253aa3b5127cdf9500c8f0f7f4.png

image.thumb.png.f5d4d19da22a5b83bd47d84aab3319ad.png

image.thumb.png.b178cef2c1477516bf300fb8fc8e9da5.png

After spending 10 hours on this bait I now that was way too much time to spend on a single bait that lacked detail (3.25 ounces 5 inches). I am quite happy with how the joint turned out though, I used single eye screws and pins for both joints creating more of a "wobble" in the bait. While it does not wake at lower speeds, it  has a hard thump and loud knock when reeled at medium speeds and does not burn out at fast speeds. I think a larger lip and weighting the belly would help better next time with the bait moving at lower speeds. A couple questions for other bait makers out there, does anybody laminate two different types of wood (one denser and one more buoyant) together to lower the center of mass in the bait? Also what do other people use to cut the lip slot besides power tools? It is quite difficult to get an even cut with the pull saw I currently use. Also a post will be coming soon on my progression on airbrushing KO swimbait blanks. Thanks to all that have read this far! Tight lines and sharp saws!

That wake looks cool!

Interesting concept with the laminate pieces of wood, reminds me of how some guys pour resin baits with varying ratios. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. You could maybe use wood glue at the interface and even thread your hardware through the bottom layer into the top.

I just use a hand saw to cut the lip slot. It’s a risky move on a bait that you’ve already poured so much effort into, so I would make a thin cut with the saw and then widen it with a blade. This will give you more control and allow you to correct the angle if you were off with the saw.

Baits look good. Don't be too hard on yourself with how long it takes. I was able to pick up a small band saw for $20 on Craigslist, and even with a bandsaw, belt sander, and lead pot it still takes me forever to make baits...

Laminating different woods is an interesting idea. Marling Baits on YT did it at least once. It might limit your need for lead.  I could see using oak or maple on the bottom and cedar or basswood on top. It's a good idea, and would create some interesting visual effects with the different woods.

Also, my 3 year old just saw your wake and Sai, "that looks awesome." Take that as a high compliment!