drop shot bait

G3bassin

I have been thinking about this and been wanting to try this technique out for awhile. I just haven't really seen a bait until now. Joe has outdone his self with this drop shot carp. I haven't fished this bait yet but plan on ordering one or two. I know this topic has came up before so figured I would let you guys know about this bait.

post-1387-14252989994508_thumb.jpg

Does the line go through the bait and out the bottom once you tie it on or across the flank? It would be dumb if it sat sideways IMO. Love the hook idea, but will they bite the head 100% of the time?

The bottom line tie is dierecty below hook eye it sits level he also is workin on a ds smelt which should be killer at the Quabbin.

Does the line go through the bait and out the bottom once you tie it on or across the flank? It would be dumb if it sat sideways IMO. Love the hook idea, but will they bite the head 100% of the time?

Like Chuck said, there is a swivel line tie on the bottom and the bait will sit horizontal. As far as hook ups this style of hook placement is amazing. On a stationary bait bass will circle and hit head first. It is different than how they will hit a moving bait. This is a great bait for very specific situations. It is not meant to cover a lot of water or even be used on drifts. It is best adapted to sitting still and being patient. you can use it in shallow water as well by just tossing it in front of cover. Like jig fishing you might just see the line jump or it may get crushed. Not a bait for everyone,more suited to people who have a very specific plan.

Like Chuck said, there is a swivel line tie on the bottom and the bait will sit horizontal. As far as hook ups this style of hook placement is amazing. On a stationary bait bass will circle and hit head first. It is different than how they will hit a moving bait. This is a great bait for very specific situations. It is not meant to cover a lot of water or even be used on drifts. It is best adapted to sitting still and being patient. you can use it in shallow water as well by just tossing it in front of cover. Like jig fishing you might just see the line jump or it may get crushed. Not a bait for everyone,more suited to people who have a very specific plan.

Joe how much weight do you have to use to get this thing down?

How big is this bait?

Joel

This is off his website:

Product Description

Real Swimbaits is always pushing the envelope on durability and innovation and now is proud to introduce…... The drop shot carp, 7.5 inch 2.75 ounce bait that has a line tie on the belly of the bait to attatch a light line and weight to. The main line ties on just in front of the dorsal fin. The 5/0 Owner jig hook is installed facing forward for an amazing hook up ratio. This bait does not swim it sits horizontal and moves with the water or can be jiggled around. The drop shot is great for keeping the bait in a specific spot for an extended time.

I'd like to get this bait add some nail weights to the mouth and cast into and under things. Make it swim away from me. Like the old flying lures.

The original design of the carp was for a deadstick bottom bait that sat nose down at about a 45 degree angle, when you twitched it it looks like a carp feeding in the mud.