Bad sale

Hookedonbass

I can relate to the floating/sinking stuff. This past spring at one of my lakes big fish were way into flooded banks with big cottonwoods. I needed a small bait I could pitch and dead stick. I tried making a floating 6 inch hudd. After filleting a ROF 5 and removing all the lead and foam I filled a five gallon bucket with water I guessed was the same temp as the lake. I added lead to the bottom and foam to the top until it floated perfectly, then glued it back up. Yeah, went to the lake and it sunk like a ROF 2? maybe, I was pissed and frustrated. Think there is more to the equation than water temp...but beyond me to figure it out.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep reading density... Are we talking lb/gal etc??? Waters specific gravity is 1 so any mass or liquid with a specific gravity greater then 1 will cause it to sink.. What is you introduce a non newtonian fluid....What about shearing effects??? What if....?Good spin off of the original post...

I keep reading density... Are we talking lb/gal etc??? Waters specific gravity is 1 so any mass or liquid with a specific gravity greater then 1 will cause it to sink.. What is you introduce a non newtonian fluid....What about shearing effects??? What if....?Good spin off of the original post...

The specific gravity of freshwater is around 1 at the temps we are fishing in but starts to drop as the water gets hot, by around 320 degrees F it has dropped to .9 In keeping saltwater fish as pets this specific gravity to temperature ratio becomes very important even over just a few degrees. The warmer the water the lower the salt content needs to be.

The specific gravity of freshwater is around 1 at the temps we are fishing in but starts to drop as the water gets hot, by around 320 degrees F it has dropped to .9 In keeping saltwater fish as pets this specific gravity to temperature ratio becomes very important even over just a few degrees. The warmer the water the lower the salt content needs to be.

Where do you fish in 320 degree water or in saltwater fishtanks?? Fresh water is 8.33 ppg and salt slightly more roughly 8.36 or so which will affect how a lure swims... Bouyancy is going to play a bigger role then water temps all though it is a variable... I do want to see this saltwater tank you fish in?? Pics or it doesn't happen!!!:)

Where do you fish in 320 degree water or in saltwater fishtanks?? Fresh water is 8.33 ppg and salt slightly more roughly 8.36 or so which will affect how a lure swims... Bouyancy is going to play a bigger role then water temps all though it is a variable... I do want to see this saltwater tank you fish in?? Pics or it doesn't happen!!!:)

Sorry If my wording wasn't specific enough. The temps we fish in meaning roughly between 32 and 90 degrees F. I then tried to explain how much specific gravity will drop as temps rise. Obviously nobody is fishing in or keeping pet fish in 320 degree water right. The last statement was meant to show the importance of specific gravity in relation to water temp in the keeping of saltwater fish as pets. Sorry if that post was confusing, it made sense as I was writing it.

Sorry If my wording wasn't specific enough. The temps we fish in meaning roughly between 32 and 90 degrees F. I then tried to explain how much specific gravity will drop as temps rise. Obviously nobody is fishing in or keeping pet fish in 320 degree water right. The last statement was meant to show the importance of specific gravity in relation to water temp in the keeping of saltwater fish as pets. Sorry if that post was confusing, it made sense as I was writing it.

Sure it makes sense, just not in the context of the discussion since there would be no change in salinity or the specific gravity in 32 to 90 degree water and it's relationship with saltwater aquariums and fishing lures... Bouyancy, drag coefficient as it relates to an object being pulled through water and say lead (sg 11.3) most commonly used weighting material in fishing, it all makes sense... A lot of variables but it s just fishing!! Informative none the less!!

I can relate to the floating/sinking stuff. This past spring at one of my lakes big fish were way into flooded banks with big cottonwoods. I needed a small bait I could pitch and dead stick. I tried making a floating 6 inch hudd. After filleting a ROF 5 and removing all the lead and foam I filled a five gallon bucket with water I guessed was the same temp as the lake. I added lead to the bottom and foam to the top until it floated perfectly, then glued it back up. Yeah, went to the lake and it sunk like a ROF 2? maybe, I was pissed and frustrated. Think there is more to the equation than water temp...but beyond me to figure it out.

Great job in trying to come up with a solution, this is the mentality that catches big fish. So it didn't go quite right that time but you were on the right track.Now you know for next time to balance the bait out in colder water then you intend to fish and if needed you can put on a heavier hook or add a nail weight. It is almost always easier to add weight then take it away. Tough to not get frustrated when alterations don't go the way you want but you still learned a lot for next time.