OG Huddleston?

Doctor Z AU

SU,

I'm curious as to what exactly an OG Hudd is.  Searched SU and google, but didn't really see much in terms of a definition.  Did find some comments on a possibly a different plastic consistency and that old ones were made in a different place, but not much else.

Besides them being older, are there distinct differences in plastic, hooks, materials, overall quality, manufacturing technique, action, design, etc?   I'm primarily referring to the 8" trout.  Is there a place I could read about this?

I see them pop up on the SU market sometimes.  

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Doctor Z AU said:

SU,

I'm curious as to what exactly an OG Hudd is.  Searched SU and google, but didn't really see much in terms of a definition.  Did find some comments on a possibly a different plastic consistency and that old ones were made in a different place, but not much else.

Besides them being older, are there distinct differences in plastic, hooks, materials, overall quality, manufacturing technique, action, design, etc?   I'm primarily referring to the 8" trout.  Is there a place I could read about this?

I see them pop up on the SU market sometimes.  

Thanks

Pretty sure they were more of a injected foam style like the OG deps but I could be totally wrong 

The real OG hudd is the 12" deluxebow. Which is a 12" hudd with a paddle tail.

As far as 8" OG vs non-OG, I do not know much about the difference in the internals, if any. On several occasions, I have cut open the belly a bit to add/ remove lead, but never looked at the entire harness system(s). Also, fun fact: the weighting of the ROF5 and ROF12 harnesses (at least in the non-OG flavor) are different.

The paintschemes (rainbow and shasta for sure) are different, and as has been mentioned, the older plastic is softer. The second problem is easy to fix; you can just boil the bait. Some of the older special colors has been made again (Filmore, HBC), but not some others like Cutthroat or Tiger Trout. I really liked the Tiger Trout (I snagged and lost the one I had). Would buy one if I can find it for cheap.

I used to think the OG hudds were superior, but in my eyes, I didn't really see a difference in action after boiling (which I do to most all soft plastics anyway). In any case, for the last 10 years, I mostly fish 8" weedless hudds, not because it's weedless (although that's good), but because the line-tie is on the nose.

Out of pack, it's not hard to see the differences if you know what you're looking for (more spots for the OG rainbow, whiter belly etc). In pack, it's easier, because you can see where they were made; older ones in Brookings (?),OR, or Mesquite, NV. The pack will usually also have a Swimbaits Rock! sticker on it.

the OG ones will have the ROF marked on the tail. they also smell different….. The really old ones will have a lighter gauge wire line tie on the head as well.

I think the older ones are less consistent in action, but if you find a good one they are money. since the old ones are all painted by kenny they look better than the new ones IMO. 

The oldest models were made in Brookings OR, followed by Mesquite NV, as stated above.

• 1 month later...

From what I remember softer plastic and the foams always used to break near the nose, they got bit well. Newer hudds I boil them to achieve the og style softness of the plastic 

I don't know about the old old Hudds but I remember not all of two to three years ago when I ordered an ROF 0 it came with a belly hanger and was actually useful! That and the phantom colors were in stock...

I got two bnip a month or two ago from the mesquite factory off of an older guy who is a corporate head at robo worm who quit fishin swimbaits a while back. Both do say swimbaits rock on them. Both with no top hook and not weedless just an unrigged 8” rof 5 with a belly hanger and line tie. The eyes are more transparent yellow. The material feels more like a soft foam inside under a very stretchy skin. They are also a bone kinda color under the paint. Coulda been white and just faded over the years. Both of them did have more imperfections from the factory than the new hudds I’ve bought recently such as creases or divots in the skin and paint bubbles but swim great. Overall Idk if there’s a huge difference between the fish catching ability of the new or the old style but there is somethin I like just a little bit more about the older ones to be honest. Unfortunately sold them both but have got a top hook 8” oldie since then and I love it also 

I actually got my hands on one that all the paint fell off from sitting so long at its ex owner house. The plastic is soft af, the harness system indeed has foam, I opened mine up and took lead out to lower the rof. Went to fine tune it at the lake and caught a 6.10 pounder on it.. sent it in yesterday to get it painted by Tanner of finbaitcustoms. I’ll send a after pic when it comes in SU !

463EDD1F-DD49-46EF-88F0-64A0FEB649F1.jpeg

CE9EF2C8-378D-4803-B92A-A73908A481F4.jpeg

642E96C6-9AF4-4781-84A2-A6F1505289E2.jpeg

718B6D18-FD31-4BDD-9EBF-822765F1F804.jpeg

0B00915A-FF71-4771-8EE4-4BAC1ACA7202.jpeg