Reel question

vikingbear8

I need another reel for a recently acquired rod, and I just discovered that I get a 30% military discount from Abu Garcia, and to be honest I never even considered their reels, I have heard a little about some of their stuff but not a lot. Specifically I was looking at two of the Ambassadeurs the new Record and the new CS Pro Rocket Black. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I know they are both pretty new but surely someone has used them.

I think the pro rocket is sick my friend has one. Very smooth casting and it didn't backlash with 25lb flouro. It's also black instead of gold. I've noticed that you start getting into good reels with abu after 150. I've had a cheap blackmax2 reel for a year and I've beat it pretty good and still works great. It's on my backup pole, and that reel costs 50. Hook me up with your disco and I'll get the pro rocket.

I find it funny how we bring up Calcutta TE, Lexas, plutons, but yet abus are left in the dust. I'm sure this is frowned upon by some people, but I don't use a level wind. :o I have a Abu 6500 c3 ct mag that I picked up in Ireland a couple years ago. I saw the reel in a shop, thought British tournament casters, and bought it. 8-) I use that reel for stripers and lmb and now I'm throwing swimbaits on it. I no doubt feel that the Calcutta is the best reel for swimbaits, however I get along fine with my Abu. I like a non levelwind reel because I have control over the spool and no worm gear to worry about. I love that reel to my death and I would recommend any Swedish made Abu to anyone. Just my two cents.

I agree with what others have said, we all love our Daiwas and Shimanos but Abu's never seem to get mentioned. I feel like the C3 has been the standard among Musky fishermen for years and before I got really "in" to swimbaits I was using a C3/St Croix Premiere Musky rod combo to throw them. The C3 worked just fine. I am now using a Daiwa Pluton and Z2020H for swimbaits which are definitely more refined than the C3 but I have a feeling they would perform on par with some of the nicer Abu offerings.

Also, I've seen that Abu has come out with a few new economically priced round reels but I haven't spoke with anybody using them and I don't believe they are Swedish made

if your gonna fork out a little cash...... try the abu- g toro revo 60/61 , i have the winch and it is perfect for slow rollin baits , and the 60 holds pleeeenty of line, and casts awsome-- but when i bought mine it was $279. im sure there cheaper now- but ive been doing everything with this reel- not just bass fish , ive caught huge stripers even used it for sturgeon a couple times , - its nimble and very tough---

The new round models (S,SX,STX) are made in China. I have the new STX 5600 and its ok, I hate to say it but it feels like a reel made in China.. I also bought a new C3 (Sweden) and its definitely a better reel. The one good thing about the STX is its lower profile than the C3, it sits lower on the rod and palms much better.

I've used C3's for years with no problems and at the price they are hard to beat. They are not refined or flashy but they will last you years and take a lot of abuse. If you buy a C3 or C4 its almost mandatory to change out the handle with a power handle. Abu likes putting on smaller than average handles for some reason and a longer handle makes a world of difference when reeling in big baits.

Cool glad to hear some guys have a bit of experience with their stuff and have positive stuff to say. I figured their higher end stuff was probably pretty good but there is not much info out there so I wanted to check. It is going on a rod that is going to be chucking 5-7 oz exclusively so I need some line capacity. I may just go ahead and pull the trigger on both of the ones I mentioned when I have the funds. I did notice the handles looked a bit small thanks for the heads up.