Best reel for LDC XH (300vs400)

FOX941

Waiting on a new rod. ( 8ft LDC workshop XH) I’m pretty set on ordering a Calcutta conquest 300. I’ve seen a few people with 400s on the 8ft LDC XH so wanted to get some input and see if it’s overkill to go with the bigger reel and why y’all would or wouldn’t get the 400.  

Generally you’ll get increased casting distance out of a 300 size spool but will get a reduced IPT at the end of a long cast although that’s not too hard to adjust to if you know how your baits should feel. It’s a trade off, and if you’re going over 25 lb line which I doubt with an XH then a 300 will give you more benefit. 

1 hour ago, FOX941 said:

Waiting on a new rod. ( 8ft LDC workshop XH) I’m pretty set on ordering a Calcutta conquest 300. I’ve seen a few people with 400s on the 8ft LDC XH so wanted to get some input and see if it’s overkill to go with the bigger reel and why y’all would or wouldn’t get the 400.  

It all comes down the personal preference. I’m in the 300 camp for the slight added performance in casting and a little more compact in size. I think 400 is over kill unless you are tossing 25lbs+ line with larger baits or chasing larger species like stripers.

+1 300 on the 300 Calcutta Conquest. I have a 301 on my LDC XH and love it! Perfect combo in my opinion. It handles ghosts no problem. Anything above that go with the 400.

The Anteres DC MD is sweet but my buddy just had to replace his gears on his and his friend had to do the same. For such a expensive reel they are not as solid. They had them on H rods(2-7). 

I look at longevity as a factor as well, after wearing out a couple 300 size reels, I try to run 400s for my XH rods. I have pretty big hands so reel size isn’t a factor to me. Either way that LDC is a sweet rod, you’ll enjoy it no matter what reel you put on it! 

On 4/5/2023 at 8:48 PM, LureFlyingAcrossThePond said:

Grappler/ tranx/ scorpion Conquest sucks when you have to take a birds nest out…might sell my conquest 301 for that reason still on the fence about it 

It’s really not that bad. Fluoro unless it’s a bad backlash where you link your line and it’s done is a lot easier to pull out than broad for example. I’ve never had issues with my shimano low profile platform reels pulling a backlash out. 

On 4/3/2023 at 10:24 PM, professorbass said:

I actually sold my conquest and got a Scorpion MD. I like the scorpion over the conquests.

To comment on your statement about high end reels, if I’m not mistaken the scorpion 300 sells for 400 over here in the us making it only a bit cheaper than a stock conquest. It’s certainly more high end than the tranx, and although not a conquest isn’t too far off. I really like mine so far but will be upgrading my handles. 

5 hours ago, Morgan Y said:

To comment on your statement about high end reels, if I’m not mistaken the scorpion 300 sells for 400 over here in the us making it only a bit cheaper than a stock conquest. It’s certainly more high end than the tranx, and although not a conquest isn’t too far off. I really like mine so far but will be upgrading my handles. 

I got mine for $232 to my door from Asian fishing portal and it only took 5 days to get here.