Spiral Wrapped Rods

idbass

I am looking at building a swimbait rod over Christmas Break and am trying to decide whether or not to spiral wrap it. I was wondering what your opinions were on it and whether or not it would be worth doing. I am planning on building off of a Phenix M1 MX-UR80H blank and using it mostly for throwing Hudds and similarly sized baits.

Just my personal preference is on baits fished with the rod tip up more and where I swing up more on the hookset and moving the bait I like a spiral wrap. If I fish it with the rod tip down more I like the standard way guides are on most rods because I tend to snap the rod downward a lot and set and load the rod down to the side. When I had my first custom rods built I had the rod builder talk me out of the spiral wrap on those types of rods and I am glad he did now that I have fished them that way and have both styles. But my favorite rod is still a spiral wrapped rod and If I had to go with just one I would take the spiral wrap.