Best knot for big bait?

Mattyboy45

I threw off an 11 inch glideator today and I'm using 65lb BRAIDI'm pretty sure it was my knot but could've been the line. Anyways kinda depressed and would like to try something different.

A lot of people won't agree but be prepared for that with braid

I believe braid has its uses, but I don't think straight braid is ever the way to go, definitely use a leader for your braid rig. If you stick with braid use an alberto knot as the line to line knot, and personally I like the san diego jam knot to attach the bait. You should definitely try out some straight mono/flouro rigs though as well. I think there is an application for all the types of line, so figure out what works for you.

Any knot I tie with braid gets an extra overhand knot in the tag end to pull up against the regular knot to prevent slipping. Strongest knots are ones you can tie properly and have doubled line inside the eye of the hook. I don't have issues with 65lb or better braid and a rod that loads properly on the cast with a smooth fluid motion used to cast the bait. If you backlash midcast on a big bait you will throw off any bait no matter which line or knot you use.

Any knot I tie with braid gets an extra overhand knot in the tag end to pull up against the regular knot to prevent slipping. Strongest knots are ones you can tie properly and have doubled line inside the eye of the hook. I don't have issues with 65lb or better braid and a rod that loads properly on the cast with a smooth fluid motion used to cast the bait. If you backlash midcast on a big bait you will throw off any bait no matter which line or knot you use.

Ya it did backlash about mid cast, it seems like it doesn't spool right sometimes. It's like it overlaps a tiny bit causing a tight spot. It wasn't spider webbed though. I had never had it happen before and even tried to snap it when it was snagged bad and never could. I like how compact the line is. I think throwing those big baits is gonna be on hold for a bit. I've considered the pf and cxx though

I'm no pro but I fish straight 65# Power Pro using a double Palomar for my BAA, Rats, Punkers, TT, big wakes, and a couple other situations and never had a problem.

I fish 25# cheap arse BigGame with a Palomar for 8-11oz baits and never had a problem. Keep it fresh and re-tie.

For Hudds I use 20# Pline Ult. Fluorocarbon with a Palomar; however, I've casted off two or three while using an inadequate rod with a shitty cast. Hasn't happened again since switching up the rod I throw them on.

Not saying it's the way to go for everyone but it's worked for me. I really think having the proper rod for the bait helps you get fluid motion casts and lowers the risk of sending your hard earned cash sailing untethered into the wind. I've experimented with leaders and other knots and have done alright but I stick with what I have confidence in. Just my $0.02. Sorry about your bait dude... best of luck figuring what works for you.

I tie a San Diego Jam with every line type I use

I fish straight braid in the summer and have never cast a bait off, that being said in the summer I'm not really fishing anything huge

When you cast do it more sideways rather than overhead. Matt Allen has a vid on youtube about proper casting with big baits, I don't make it as complicated as he does but I do cast from the side like him

I tie a uni knot but like swimbo said it happens with braid. Try P-kine cxx 20 or 25 lb test you wont cast off baits

I stopped using braid for myheavier swimbaits and switched to some mono havent looked back. I use braid for flipping and lighter swimbaits