Longest skunk?

swimfisher85

Thought this might be a fun one. 

Whats the longest you have been skunked on glide or swimbaits.

I'll start. I caught one largemouth 2 years ago on an s waver and nothing since.

Countless hours of being out on the lakes throwing glides and nothing since.

What about everyone else?

Well, I usually don't fish from August till ice-out; so there's that lol.

This year has been bad; maybe unusual would be a better word (since I did catch a couple good ones). I've literally caught only 4 swimbait fish and 1 jerkbait fish. I can't remember when I last had trouble catching (small) fish on jerkbaits and hard swimbaits.

There was one April ~11 years back when I fished almost every other day (maybe a few hours or so, not all day long) and I caught one little fish on a hardgill. But I caught half a dozen total over 7# in March and May that year, all on 8" hudds, so I wasn't unhappy!

42 minutes ago, maiti said:

Well, I usually don't fish from August till ice-out; so there's that lol.

This year has been bad; maybe unusual would be a better word (since I did catch a couple good ones). I've literally caught only 4 swimbait fish and 1 jerkbait fish. I can't remember when I last had trouble catching (small) fish on jerkbaits and hard swimbaits.

There was one April ~11 years back when I fished almost every other day (maybe a few hours or so, not all day long) and I caught one little fish on a hardgill. But I caught half a dozen total over 7# in March and May that year, all on 8" hudds, so I wasn't unhappy!

So what you're telling me is that I have to fish hudds Hahaha

Zero days.

When I lived in RI I would have a 3 day limit at the end of the year when the water was starting to freeze, if I went 3 times with no fish I would hang in up until ice out.

If your water is not going to ice you should be able to change things up to get at least a fish, last resort is a smaller 4 to 5 inch gill or shad soft bait.

OP change things up, baits and retrieve style, 2 years is not good.

5 hours ago, bassbass said:

Zero days.

When I lived in RI I would have a 3 day limit at the end of the year when the water was starting to freeze, if I went 3 times with no fish I would hang in up until ice out.

If your water is not going to ice you should be able to change things up to get at least a fish, last resort is a smaller 4 to 5 inch gill or shad soft bait.

OP change things up, baits and retrieve style, 2 years is not good.

I've tried it all. I have hundreds of glides, I've tried slow and fast retrieves, even more erratic retrieves and nothing. Big and small glides, glides of all colors. Nothing works

2 hours ago, swimfisher85 said:

I've tried it all. I have hundreds of glides, I've tried slow and fast retrieves, even more erratic retrieves and nothing. Big and small glides, glides of all colors. Nothing works

So.... unless it's a troll post, what's for sale? :P

17 minutes ago, bassbass said:

Try something other then glides

^ This

Everyone says "If it ain't broke don't fix it", something here is broke and needs to be fixed. A trip without a fish is an extreme rarity for me now, even when I commit to the big 8+" stuff. Stick to what works, and stay away from what doesn't

In my opinion for a guy like me who’s not able to fish more than 2-3 hours any given time I go out and also being stuck on shore at pressured urban spots it’s totally normal to go a week maybe two without a bite. I just came off an 3 day skunk streak after a random cold front with rain and high winds. Although it doesn’t happen often, it does happen. Drastic and sudden changes in conditions have really shut down bites for me in the past. Construction can kill good honey holes. Pressures a big part. Places get stocked with blue cats  in the spring through fall and get pounded same with trout in winter. Spots get blasted around spawn when the fish bed shallow enough for everyone and their grandma to line up on the bank and sight fish with the kitchen sink and the pressure doesn’t let up til it gets cold again. A lot of the time the fish push way back where you couldn’t cast to and suck down to bottom to avoid all the people. I found that going at night is more productive in most cases for me. I would think that everyone’s situations and limitations are vastly different therefore the frequency of the skunk will vary person to person. There’s also definitely lures that outperform others by quite a bit based on forage. personally the bluegill profile is king in these ponds by me down south. I know for a fact that most of them also have big gizzard Shad, crappie, minnows, craws, trout in winter etc. and have thrown all those imitations and caught on them but not nearly as many as gills. I’d love to force feed them the cool baits I wanna throw but 9 times out of 10 it’s just not what they want and I find myself goin back to a gill. You just need to find what your fish are primarily feeding on day in and day out then dial in your imitation based on the body of water and conditions. It also helps to be different than other guys, go when no one else is out, fish spots no one else tries. At the end of the day, throwing a big swimbait isn’t always gonna produce. But that’s not why I throw them. It’s just about getting the biggest bite in your body of water, not the most average bites. Good luck to you man hopefully you can put the pieces together to solve your puzzle. Keep those baits wet and it’ll happen for you soon enough 

As far as I can remember I haven’t goose-egged twice in a row. Sometimes, conditions are just tough.

id echo what some of these other guys are saying. Try something else. Swimbaits are super fun, but if you aren’t catching fish you aren’t learning. Try different baits, different retrieve cadences, different speeds, different depths, different bait profiles, different colors etc until you find something that works. Once you figure out  where bass are then throw something big and funky at them.

what sort of body of water are you fishing?