First time bait maker- Rat wake tips

2nickfishing

Hello everyone,

I hope this message finds you all well. As of six months ago, I've fallen down the rabbit hole of big bait fishing. I've done pretty well so far with a few really good fish. As I looked at all the baits this diverse market has to offer, I started to think about making my own. A bait that piqued my interest was a two-piece rat wake bait. 

My initial thought was to first design a prototype in a 3D modeling environment, and then create a mold from it. Then from that mold, I could create some resin baits. But before I do any of that, I still have a lot of questions. I would be greatly appreciative to have any kinds of tips or tricks for the development process of a bait. Especially those with experience making rat wakes. 

Some preliminary questions I have (but not limited to):

- Do you think 3D modeling would work as an alternative to wood?

- Do you have any preferred products? silicone, resin, paint, etc

- Do you incorporate the hook and line eyelets into the resin molding process? Or do you make holes after and insert them in?

- What should I know about painting on resin? Can you even paint on resin?

True wakes are difficult to make right! Basic guidelines are as follows.

1. lip should be 8-15 degrees of center line and be forward on the bait.

2. line tie is normally at center line or lower.

3. all sections should have the same buoyancy to prevent joint binding.

4. sections should be close to equal length in a 2 piece bait.

5. proper weighting is essential for proper movement.

remember these are guidelines not exacts... depending on size, shape, pieces, how you want it to run and weight. some people prefer a bait with roll and some don't.

People here can point you in the right direction better if they know what you want to build ( specs )

I am also very interested in rat lures and have recently been making wooden ones. I haven't made any molds yet, so I can't help you there, although I'm eager to see what others here have to say about that.

Check this article out when you have some time. There's some pretty good info here: https://www.thefisherman.com/article/plug-building-2-rat-swimbait/#close-modal