Shimano Scorpion MD 300 VS Shimano Tranx 300

DEPS_250

Is the Shimano Scorpion MD 300 just a rebadged/JDM version of the Tranx? In other words, are they basically the same reel with the same internals, components and materials but only with a different color scheme/change? 

If they are basically the same reels, I would much rather go with the Scorpion since I love red as an accent color. On the other hand, if there are some differences between the two, what changes in the internals and/or components/materials did Shimano implement to make them different and therefore which one should have the better/higher quality build/specs on paper?

Hopefully there is someone in here who has some experience or intel on both reels. 

Edited by DEPS_250

Aside from the obvious gear ratio and handle choices…

Scorpion MD has a different spool VBS pin system that handles Swimbaits better and also has micro module gears instead of HEG (coarser teeth).

The Scorpion casts better and is the smoother reel. 

The Tranx would have arguably slightly better gear power for very high resistance winding and longevity but is not as smooth. This is the trade off between MM vs HEG gears. 

Alright I think I get it now. Let me try and get this straight...

_ Shimano Scorpion MD 300 

• Micro Module Gears (Fine/Smooth)
  • VBS Braking System 
  • 7.9:1 Gear Ratio 
  • Better suited for hard baits/glide baits.
  • The higher gear ratio coupled with the Micro Module/fine gears should help facilitate smooth action on glide baits while also helping with being able to cover more water efficiently and not feel like your fishing with a 'coffee grinder' and wearing you out. 

_ Shimano Tranx 300 

• HEG Gears (Coarse)
  • VBS Braking System
  • 5.8:1 and 7.6:1 Gear Ratios
  • Better suited for soft baits/jig hook style baits.
  • The lower gear ratio(s) coupled with the HEG/coarse gears should help generate torque and therefore make it feel like your fishing with a winch, making fishing big heavy paddle tail and Hudd/wedge tail style baits feel a lot more powerful when trying to fish these baits at their optimum speed and cadence.

They both seem to have the same braking system as far as I can tell. But I am getting the feeling that there is some difference to both of the braking systems since @Cranky said they were different. As far as I can tell from photos alone, the only difference is that the Scorpion has a 8 pin system while the Tranx has a 6 pin system. Other than that, the braking systems look identical. 

How about HAGANE, XSHIP and CORE PROTECT? Does the scorpion have these too just like the Tranx?

Also if anyone can confirm, is the handle definitely longer on the Scorpion MD 300 LH/Large Handle version that has the big round EVA knobs versus the non LH version that has the regular flat rubber knobs?

Both handles look to be about the same length as far as photos are concerned. I am hoping the LH version is definitely longer. Does anyone know the exact handle lengths on both versions of the Scorpion MD 300 by any chance? 

Edited by DEPS_250

Yes, 90mm vs 102mm. 

Yes hagane, yes Xship, no core protect (extra seals to keep water out that unfortunately also keep water in). 

8 pin vs 6 pin gives finer tuning resolution but also higher total braking if/when needed. 

All the bait/application stuff is just personal preferences. It’s just a reel. They’re both good reels with slightly different features. Generally speaking people would find the faster/smoother Scorpion MD better for glides. The higher speed Tranx is pretty similar though. Lower gear ratio Tranx are nice for slower retrieves for those of us that can’t reel dirt slow and get impatient. 

They’re not the end-all-be-all of swimbait reels but they do a nice job. 

I own both, my buddy owns the Eva grip version of the scorpion and I got the stock one but threw a 120 mm gomexus flat on it which is better than the Eva even. The scorpion is lighter because it has a graphite side plate and is less bulky on the aluminum side. The brakes also have 8 paddles which are a bit different than the tranx ones instead of 6 and it’s a good bit narrower than the tranx spool which also helps with casting distance. Also I think the gears on the scorpion are like mentioned above more smooth although the tranx or at least the one I have is incredibly smooth also. As far as drag goes the Tranx will have more (especially my 5.8-1) although that won’t be an issue since you’ll likely lock it out and it’s still a whole lot more than the calcuttas have which I know of slipping even when they’re locked. The scorpion will cast further than the tranx, although with ceramics the tranx does quite well keeping up. I would agree 100% that the scorpion is exclusively for glides, and the tranx (5.8-1) is a pretty good softy reel that can also fish glides although not as responsively even on slow baits like a 250, the line pick up makes a big difference. I run my tranx for slow stuff and scorpion for glides and like how they do their jobs. I think the scorpion allows you to more precisely control your glides, especially with a huge handle, since you can make super precise movements at whatever speed your bait needs, you can even slow down by doing quarter turns and slacking out. 

Edited by Morgan Y

• 7 months later...

I just sent my TranX 300 AHG back got it last night I don’t care for the power knob I was hoping to pair it with my G.loomis 965 for throwing soft and hard swim baits and glide baits and from what I’m seeing in the comments is that the Scorpion 300 MD would be a better choice? For soft swim baits to? How’s the Scorpion comparing to the Curado 300 K?