Recommended weight

Brilandyoung

A rod rated to 5 oz and you're looking at a 4.9oz glide? Personally, tie it on and send it, but it's not my rod that I paid for. It's best to typically stay within a rods "weight class" but as long as you're not massively overloading your rod you should be fine. Weight ratings are very subjective and comes down to feel of individual anglers and other rods characteristics besides the lure weight rating. I fish with 2 guys semi regularly and all 3  of us have varying opinions on what rod to throw certain baits with. Prime example:

1st guy fishes much more conventional and lighter gear because we generally fish rivers for salmon but when lakes open up he will break out bass gear. Dave will throw a K9 which is about as big of a glide as he will throw on a ML mod-fast rated for up to 3-4oz I can't recall exactly off the top. But that bait is tipping or even out of that rods ability, he seems to have no trouble.

2nd guy and I fish for bass constantly even when the steelhead are running and he won't throw a K9 on anything under less than his XH LDC 3- 8 oz where the K9 is at the bottom of that rods capability. 

I typically fish a K9 on a Heavy X-fast taper rated 2-6oz which puts the lure weight smack in the middle of the weight class and it's a breeze to cast all day. That's how I've always fished my whole life, trying to keep lure weights closer to the middle of a rods weight class and I like a faster taper whenever I can get away with it. That's not to say that I've never fished outside a weight class because I certainly do and haven't ran into much trouble yet I just prefer to not.

17 minutes ago, SockeyeSteve said:

A rod rated to 5 oz and you're looking at a 4.9oz glide? Personally, tie it on and send it, but it's not my rod that I paid for. It's best to typically stay within a rods "weight class" but as long as you're not massively overloading your rod you should be fine. Weight ratings are very subjective and comes down to feel of individual anglers and other rods characteristics besides the lure weight rating. I fish with 2 guys semi regularly and all 3  of us have varying opinions on what rod to throw certain baits with. Prime example:

1st guy fishes much more conventional and lighter gear because we generally fish rivers for salmon but when lakes open up he will break out bass gear. Dave will throw a K9 which is about as big of a glide as he will throw on a ML mod-fast rated for up to 3-4oz I can't recall exactly off the top. But that bait is tipping or even out of that rods ability, he seems to have no trouble.

2nd guy and I fish for bass constantly even when the steelhead are running and he won't throw a K9 on anything under less than his XH LDC 3- 8 oz where the K9 is at the bottom of that rods capability. 

I typically fish a K9 on a Heavy X-fast taper rated 2-6oz which puts the lure weight smack in the middle of the weight class and it's a breeze to cast all day. That's how I've always fished my whole life, trying to keep lure weights closer to the middle of a rods weight class and I like a faster taper whenever I can get away with it. That's not to say that I've never fished outside a weight class because I certainly do and haven't ran into much trouble yet I just prefer to not.

Thanks man I appreciate it

Keep in mind that ratings and their accuracy are dependent on rod company.  Some companies rate their rods accurately…some over…some under.  That being said, a lob cast can be utilized to stretch the boundaries pretty far safely.