Glide bait rod

5 by 3

Hey guys, looking to try another rod for small to medium size swimbaits. Won’t be throwing any baits larger than 3 oz (mostly hyper and chad Shad).

Recently bought an F5 ghost code rod and while I do love the moderate fast taper, I can’t seem to get used to the extra long handle. 

Any suggestions for other rods with a similar taper but normal length handle?

Edited by 5 by 3

• 5 by 3 changed the title to Glide bait rod
1 hour ago, Bass the east said:

You could have F5 build you a custom to any specs you’d like. Most of the new Swimbait rod companies have a 16+” handle. A dobyns 795xp will work great for those baits and I beleive the handle is 13-14”

I second this, love my 795 for treble baits up to 3oz (I have the Fury but am sure the Champion is that much better). The handle is medium length I would say…great length for kayaking but maybe a tad short if you are trying to get maximum casting distance.

1 hour ago, danthefisherman said:

I second this, love my 795 for treble baits up to 3oz (I have the Fury but am sure the Champion is that much better). The handle is medium length I would say…great length for kayaking but maybe a tad short if you are trying to get maximum casting distance.

Can’t go wrong with dobyns 795 fury! My first swim bait rod and it excels with those smaller glide baits. Truly can’t beat it for the price either. I’ve since then upgraded to the leviathan Omega and if you have the money get it hands down an incredible rod.

Which ghost code did you try?? I use the 7’6 tournament series for a lot of my smaller glides. I’ve thrown 7in bucca glides, some 30acre, and my fmtc jaycats on them. It’s rated for 1.5 but I throw up to 3oz on it with ease. Also a great rod for alot of other things. 

You can use discount code “BROBBINS10” on the f5 site if you’d like 

I would go Dobyns. They handles on the shorter rods are a nice medium length. If you go with a 795, I’d go fury over champion. The champion is a wet noodle. All depends on your exact lure weights. If you’re talking 2-3 I’d prob go fury 795. If you’re talking even lighter like 1.5-3 at the very most, I’d even go 794 or 794.5(I’ve never fished the 794.5). And further, if you’re looking more like 2.5-3oz, I would actually opt for the 796. This prob just throws you more for a loop than anything haha

Cut however much you want off the butt section and install a new butt cap. Lots of YouTube vids on how to do this. If not, take it to your local rod builder and any of them can do it. It’s an easy mod for rod builders.

If you can find the older Gen 1 Orochi XX Leviathans, those are so sweet. Shorter handle than most rods nowadays but very light for an 8ft rod and can toss down to 1oz. Killer topwater big bait rod.