dropshotting large swimbaits...

nadinesmom

dropshotting large swimbaits...

ok so i know a few of you do it... anyone try to drop shot mattlures dead twitch or dead stick baits? as far as realism goes those things are as good as it gets...

i've read the info mike long posted about drop shotting a hudd... anyone try it and have any luck?

I've never done it but Real Prey has a drop shot carp that I've been wanting to get. Seems like a good idea and a presentation most big fish haven't seen yet. I've got a few spots in mind I would love to try this out at and winter is the perfect time.

Seems like most of the swim-shotter's I have seen, seem to actually use hard baits. I definitely think the technique has great potential, especially fishing deep water humps and such, realistic floater tethered a couple feet off the bottom count me in. I might mess around with it this Winter if I can get on some consolidations of fish, if I do I'll update here!

I have used a 6" Hudd on a drop-shot with decent results but really haven't done it enough to give you much input. The one time I used a Mattlures soft gill on a drop-shot it got bit but the first fish broke the harness in half on the hookset.

I have used a 6" Hudd on a drop-shot with decent results but really haven't done it enough to give you much input. The one time I used a Mattlures soft gill on a drop-shot it got bit but the first fish broke the harness in half on the hookset.

did you have to alter either of the baits to get them to fall correctly? I think I remember mike long saying that he had Ken huddleston make him some hudds with no harness... wondering how he hooked them.

thanks for your input guys, if any of you have any success let me know, i'm gonna give it a shot with a few baits this weekend if the weather cooperates!

I have a few different drop shot baits that I use on occasion. A carp and a smelt. They can be very effective in just the right situation. I have used them in shallow water tossing them in front of downed trees and just waiting.The important thing is to keep the boat still and not use the bait as a search bait. Great for when you find the fish and are able to stay on them.