What hooks to put on a slammer

george_r_d

I think 2/0 is a little big for a 9"slammer. I use #1 or you could use 1/0. I like the st56 personally. Just started using them for my calico baits. So anything that can hold up in saltwater will definitely be more than enough for largemouth.

I think 2/0 is a little big for a 9"slammer. I use #1 or you could use 1/0. I like the st56 personally. Just started using them for my calico baits. So anything that can hold up in saltwater will definitely be more than enough for largemouth.

Agreed about the 2/0 being a bit big. I like 1/0 on the 9" and 1s on the 7"

I normally run ST-41s on my 9" Slammers. The stock hooks are very sharp, but bend out easily, so I like to go with something a little beefier.

file-9.jpg

I'm not sure whether it's better to run 1/0s or 2/0s; I currently have 2/0s on my workhorse Slammer (the bottom one) and they have done a pretty wicked job. The one downside is that super-sharp hooks definitely chew into the bait, but I'd rather have a chewed bait catching fish than a virginal bait haulin' water.

I know the stock slammer hooks arnt the best, however I throw the hell out of my slammers and have not had a problem with not landing a fish because of the stock hooks, nor have I had one bend on me, although the biggest ive landed on a slammer is 5.5lbs so not a monster by any means. Change them if you wish but until they dull up id leave them...