KRR Cometa Wing Review

Klash9

Having fished pretty much every JDM jointed crawler made over the past 7 or eight years (and most USDM ones too), I finally splashed the cash on a the $400 KRR Cometa Wing, a handmade wooden 2 segment jointed bait weighing in at 2.8 oz and 6.5 inches in length. The time from placing the preorder to the bait showing up on my doorstep was about 4 months.

The Cometa ran pretty well out of the box and had about a 85% startup/wing engagement without having to pop it. Wing cadence/speed was high even on ultra slow retrieve. Interestingly, the only way to slow the cadence was to do a burn retrieve. No hardware or segment/segment noise, only sounds were the wings engaging the surface in the typical crawler bloop bloop sound, so I would say this bait is on the medium (typical) side loudness wise.

As I fish exclusively at night, I am very dependent on the feedback I receive through my preferred topwater setup: Evergreen Kaleido Super Stallion GT2RS, Daiwa Zillion HD, 1520 SH, and Hitena Silky 63lb braid. The description of how the Cometa feels/gives feedback on the retrieve is something akin to soft butter. Extremely smooth, even utilizing braid. This is a big difference to other baits in its price bracket like the Vansbaits or Kawasemi, or even other much less expensive wood baits like the DS Customs Speed Crawler or Fish Arrow Wing Dachs where I can feel every tiny vibration, movement of the wings, joints, and hardware amplified. It was an interesting feeling. It wasn't a dead feeling, nor refined, just very buttery. Typically I can feel if a bait ticks a weed,  or a fish is pushing up behind a bait,. With the KRR, it was muted to the point I had difficulty feeling that I had ticked a submerged weed and had it caught on the hooks. Typically with even the slightest weed on a hook, the wing cadence will change, speeding up or the pitch will change. On the Cometa, there was no change. Surface disturbance was about on par for the size of this bait.

The hookup ratio was 3 for 3 in blowups to landed fish. However, the bait went out of tune in the first fish, which was a cookie cutter 4-5lber size, not even a crazy fight which should not have caused it to get out of tune so easily. It took me a good amount of time to get it back in tune, and I never could get it tuned back to running perfectly despite my best efforts (and many, many years experience fishing and tuning all sorts of crawlers). By fish 3, the soft plastic tail had been lost. A spare tail is included in the package, so that will be replaced.

The finish on the Cometa held up well, only a minor bit of hook pitting and bite marks. Wings and hardware closely resemble Raid Deka Dodge wings/hardware, but they are pre bent forward, which explains the fast wing cadence. My overall impressions of this bait are that it is beautifully built and finished, the hardware is somewhat fragile, and it is finicky to retune. Would I buy another one? Probably not. I have other better performing baits in that price range: the Kawasemi is a magical bait, and the Vansbait Magnum Lake does everything the KRR does, except better and more reliably with a slightly larger profile.

KRR Cometa Wing

Length: 6.5 inches

Weight: 2.8 oz

Strengths: Top notch build quality, excellent hook up ratio, when running right has a great sound

Weaknesses: Hardware is fragile, and is finicky to retune. Soft plastic tail is easily lost.

Out of the box: 9.5

Twitch: 6

Ease of Startup: 8

Slow Retrieve (Creep): 6

Medium Retrieve (Crawl): 9

Fast Retrieve (Skitter): 6

Noise: Medium  (from wings: 100%)

Wing cadence: Fast

Durability: 6

Ease of tuning: 6

(Stay tuned, as I will have an in-depth crawler breakdown and reviews of over 30 different JDM jointed crawlers coming soon on jdmfishing.com. My other article, on the DRT Klash 9, can also be found on jdmfishing.com, in the Big Bait Otaku section.)

IMG_20230727_191149_842.jpg

IMG_20230804_041818_250.jpg

PXL_20230804_035956057.jpg

PXL_20230804_150243421.jpg

PXL_20230804_150308833.jpg

awesome write up as always man, appreciate you taking the time to do these in depth write ups 

as someone who fishes crawlers a lot i really wanted one of these but the price tag is outrageous for a crawler, especially when i love much cheaper ones 

KRR makes amazing beautiful baits  

1 hour ago, chefchris said:

awesome write up as always man, appreciate you taking the time to do these in depth write ups 

as someone who fishes crawlers a lot i really wanted one of these but the price tag is outrageous for a crawler, especially when i love much cheaper ones 

KRR makes amazing beautiful baits  

ty for the feedback!

yeah, the price tag is high for sure. it is beautifully crafted though, top notch in every fashion. the body, joints, finish, line tie, and hook hangers are all perfection. id say its pretty much a work of art craftmanship wise. the wing hardware though is a touch fragile, probably just a touch below average in terms of durability. though i think the wing itself is well designed, not too many are pre bent which is a cool characteristic, and which makes it run at higher cadence than normal. i think one of the few others that were pre bent was on the gen 1 marute wood hanemaru. a bigger bass, musky, striper or catfish would probably do enough damage to require new hardware installation after..  

glad to read this which confirmed my suspicions./ I bought one a few years ago and when i got it i just felt like it was going to be a headache. I dont know why i felt that but i did. Sold it for a small loss, maybe 40 buckks. win some, lose some. 

There are just so many good cheap crawlers out there. Its smaller, but the Sora Designs Dead Crawler 150 is an absolute stunning work of art, and it performs incredibly. I've been throwing crawlers for a few years and have tried a bunch and I really like the Sora. Of course for the pure cheapness the Raid Dodge is another good small one, but only a one piece of course.

Cheerio

On 8/14/2023 at 9:34 AM, captainhookset said:

glad to read this which confirmed my suspicions./ I bought one a few years ago and when i got it i just felt like it was going to be a headache. I dont know why i felt that but i did. Sold it for a small loss, maybe 40 buckks. win some, lose some. 

There are just so many good cheap crawlers out there. Its smaller, but the Sora Designs Dead Crawler 150 is an absolute stunning work of art, and it performs incredibly. I've been throwing crawlers for a few years and have tried a bunch and I really like the Sora. Of course for the pure cheapness the Raid Dodge is another good small one, but only a one piece of course.

Cheerio

sora is beautiful. that wingset would be switched out though, cant stand those wings.