Best Travel Rod for Big Swimbaits

TheBankBassButcher

Newby here on Swimbait Underground and this is my first post. Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong area. I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with the best break down travel rod for big swimbaits like 250's. The beefiest travel rod I know of at the moment is a Valkyrie World Expedition up in the XH or XXH range. However, I think the heaviest only says up to 6oz. Anyone have experience with this? My current rod is an Orochi XX Leviathan. I'm I asking for too much in a travel rod here? Anyone?

11 hours ago, TheBankBassButcher said:

@chevro1et I was starting to think that. Thank you for chiming in. I think I will back off of wanting to throw 250's while traveling and stick with mid size swimbaits and get a Valkyrie Heavy or maybe XH.

I can personally vouch for the Valkyrie VKC-711XH-4 as a great treble hook bait rod. I've thrown Baitsanity Gill glide, K9, GanCraft 230, Wade Hoggs on it and it's fantastic. 

48 minutes ago, JacksonF said:

F5 departure 806 or 807 are awesome travel rods. They break down in 3 pieces and come with a hard case. The 806 is best around 4oz, the 807 will handle 5-6oz baits well 

Tough to come by these days, Brad hasn't really been building them since he started the Conceal Carry series.  A few months ago, the tip section of one of my Departure 806 rods got broken and Brad was unable to secure a replacement for me.  Although you can (and I have) successfully throw hard baits with the Departure rods, they are better suited for single hook baits in my opinion.

2 hours ago, chevro1et said:

I can personally vouch for the Valkyrie VKC-711XH-4 as a great treble hook bait rod. I've thrown Baitsanity Gill glide, K9, GanCraft 230, Wade Hoggs on it and it's fantastic. 

agreed. it’s a super solid rod for small baits. cant comfortably throw bigger baits on it though 

Deps makes a 4 piece 7’7” XXH that’s rated to 5 oz that is amazing for 1-3 oz that’s part of their Huge custom line. Hard to find and not cheap but absolutely amazing. I have one that goes everywhere with me. You can even toss heavier spinnerbaits and chatterbaits or jigs with it. Sensitivity is insane for what the ratings are. Definitely not a soft bait taper though unless you’re using line through to a treble. 

On 8/12/2023 at 6:27 PM, chevro1et said:

Thank you, good sir!