Thoughts on shimano bantam MGL A for swim baits

FOX941

Been using an hg for a couple months for hardbaits and it’s been great so far, nothing over 3 lbs caught on it yet though. I also threw a 100mm handle on it so it had a more “swimbait reel” feel to it. Been running 20lb flouro and it’s not awful but you can see the spool at the end of bomb cast if that really bothers you but realistically nothing is gonna pull hard enough to spool it out from there so I don’t worry about it. Will probably go 16-17 lb on the next spoolup just for a little extra capacity for reties/cutoffs

I picked one up recently to dip my toe into this swimbait thing. I don't own anything bigger than a 150 size so this is a beefy reel to me. The handle feels too small for the reel, in my opinion - both the length of it and the size of the knobs. It's funny, because I also have Metaniums in both HG and XG and the handle on the Met HG doesn't have that "too small" feel to me.

I also have a couple of Zillion TW HD 1000 reels and they give the Bantam a pretty good run for the money. I'm strongly considering putting a bigger handle on the Bantam to see if that changes how I feel about them.

32 minutes ago, FOX941 said:

Ok thanks.  Y’all think it’s a better reel than the new zillion SV TW?

I personally think is more of a solid reel and it’s has more line capacity too. The new Zillion SV TW and Zillion TW HD are 100 size reels. The USDM Zillion SV TW, Zillion TW HD 1000 have brass gears and the Zillion SV TW 1000 has aluminum gears. If you are going to go down the Zillion road TW HD 1520 is the one you want. 

9 hours ago, FOX941 said:

I’m almost to the point of just throwing a tatula 300 on the MH rod but everyone keeps telling me it’s too big and won’t balance well. 

You are WAY overthinking it. A 200 sized reel is exactly what you need for the weight range you mentioned. And there is an endless list of options for 200 sized reels. 

If you're in a pinch and already have the Bantam then use it while you decide. Mine weighs in at under 8oz though so if you're concerned with perfect balance then it probably won't be what you're wanting either.