Missed Tourney Opportunity

Hoosier_Hawgz

Well first I’d like to start by saying I made a bit of an oopsie. I went ahead and signed up for the monthly tourney because I’m the optimistic type, but I forgot one little thing; I don’t own a measuring board. I figure no biggy, what are the odds I’ll actually catch one big enough to be a tourney contender anyways?

Fast forward to this evening, and I’m pumped to test swim the baits I just bought from @Kccline49 (awesome dude by the way). First swimbaits I’ve ever owned other than a 3-piece wake I made myself and I’m throwing them on a Berkeley Big Game spinning rod. Everything swims/glides good, my fiancé is catching blue gill every cast for 20 minutes straight, it’s starting to sprinkle. Last one for me to test is the Strike King Mega Dawg. I get a blow-up about 8’ from the bank, and set the hook into this- 

IMG_1488.thumb.jpeg.b38f31e7b1bc985141b5826782d06830.jpegIMG_1489.thumb.jpeg.105600f33a926227fea17b004d42a654.jpegIMG_1491.thumb.jpeg.137c5eb1efeef2ad1a9fb3867af0b44a.jpeg

I live in Indiana, so with the handicap this becomes a 6.62 lber. Needless to say my next purchase is going to be a measuring board. 

Nice one for sure. 

Yea man, believe it or not catching the fish for the tourney is easier than getting the submission correct. I know myself from experience. 
Now, standard gear for every trip: measuring board, digital scale, and net. Net lets me keep the fish in the water so I can compose myself to document the catch. You never know when that next PB or trophy will come. Be prepared to document your catch. 

None the less bro, keep at it, there will be more opportunities. 

Edited by Mossyback Angler

Thanks fellas! 

@Mossyback Angler that’s solid advice, I appreciate it. A net for sure would have been handy because my knees were knocking together for about ten seconds after I caught her. I thought for sure she was over 5, which would definitely make her a PB. 

I had to look through my old pictures to confirm, but this fish is indeed my PB. For my first time throwing big baits, literally just test swimming them, and to break my old PB by five ounces? Just unreal. 

On that note, anybody want to buy some conventional gear lol?