experience with LDC rods?

jonboatjake

hey su

thinking of getting a ldc mh. i live in illinois, not really throwing anything bigger than 8” hard baits in the recommended weight range for the mh workshop rod. i’m wondering if anyone has experience with the rods, how you feel the rod handles hooksets/keeping the fish pinned on trebles, if you use this as both a hard and soft bait rod, etc. hopefully this isn’t a redundant post, any thoughts or insight is appreciated. thanks!

I used the MH for all my hardbaits up to 4.5oz, and specifically the Pizz Beast Crank. The beast crank weighs 4oz and the MH is perfect (I only use two rods. The LDC MH and a Taipon 807). I mainly use fluoro with the beast crank and have not lost any fish due to the rod. Casts great, loads very nicely, and I dig the spiral guides. I’ve briefly used it for a Mattlures Ultimate gill, but never hooked up (most likely this was due to the fish mostly being small smallies, and nothing to do with the rod). I don’t see why you wouldn’t have enough backbone behind it to use a jighook bait, make sure whatever like you are using doesn’t have a lot of stretch. The 7’9” length is really nice for fishing from shore, and traveling with it in my car. Hope this helps man! If you have any specific questions I’d be more than happy to help!

I’ve never personally used a ldc and I know they get a lot of praise but at the end of the day he’s just buying blanks and putting handles/guides on them….the blank is doing all the work. I don’t know what he currently uses but I know he used to use Phenix blanks for awhile and I can say every Phenix Swimbait rod I’ve used (old m1, ultra swim, new m1) has been a pimp stick. There are a lot of swimbait rods on the market now that would be comparable in performance and quality, probably cheaper and certainly easier to replace

My MH is probably the rod I pick up the most, and I’ve thrown everything from a 2oz Rad Rat, 6” Burritos, small glides up to Beast Wakes and larger 4oz glides, never once have I been unhappy with the performance. The only thing I don’t like is the single foot guides and spiral wrap, but that’s just cause I’m being a grumpy old man about it. It works just fine, I’ve never had an actual issue. I don’t think you can go wrong with the MH. 

What’s up, I’m in N IL. I run MH H XH LDC rods. MH LDC rod is a great rod. Mainly use it for smaller hardbaits and softies. Tks mostly for me. I have no trouble keeping the hooks pinned. Super light rod and comfortable and sensitive. 

dang thank you guys so much. i really appreciate all the input!! @Jimmyvsopwhere you at man?! i’m in chicago proper. lol only mfr in the city pulling a jon boat at 5am :grin:

@Whammy @Quinnadamss perfect, mainly thinking of this for tks, i slide 187, chad shad, venturing into other small softbaits etc

1 minute ago, jonboatjake said:

dang thank you guys so much. i really appreciate all the input!! @Jimmyvsopwhere you at man?! i’m in chicago proper. lol only mfr in the city pulling a jon boat at 5am :grin:

@Whammy @Quinnadamss perfect, mainly thinking of this for tks, i slide 187, chad shad, venturing into other small softbaits etc

If your main lure is gonna be in the 2-2.5oz range, I’d step it down to a ML. The MH is fine but I think it would be more enjoyable on the ML! Just a thought 

1 hour ago, jonboatjake said:

Aurora/ Naperville area 

11 hours ago, brootalititties said:

I’ve never personally used a ldc and I know they get a lot of praise but at the end of the day he’s just buying blanks and putting handles/guides on them….the blank is doing all the work. I don’t know what he currently uses but I know he used to use Phenix blanks for awhile and I can say every Phenix Swimbait rod I’ve used (old m1, ultra swim, new m1) has been a pimp stick. There are a lot of swimbait rods on the market now that would be comparable in performance and quality, probably cheaper and certainly easier to replace

Sure it is a bit more expensive. All custom rods from LDC, F5, Nameless, Leviathan etc are all gonna fall into the higher priced range.  But you are supporting a Small American Business Owner live there dream and provide for their family, instead of a major company pumping out hundreds of rods. The same can be said about garage builders. Why buy from them if you can buy a Berkeley knock off . 

I would say get whatever is in your budget.