Best Shimano or JDM 200 Sized Reel

5-20

Need a 200 sized reel. I always seem to be fidgeting around with the Curado 200 k series reels' cast control knob. I've never got that reel dialed in where I can cast it in my sleep like I can with all of the other Curado e reels I've owned.

The size and weight of the 200 k is perfect for the Bantam 168XH-SWB rod I just got. But I'd like a better reel. The Bantam MGL is too small to bomb baits with #20 Big Game.

Is there a similar sized Shimano reel in the JDM market? Don't want a round reel. Only low profile reels. Thanks. 

I think the tranx 200 and Antares are gonna be the only other options from shimano in a low profile format, that being said I’ve been fishing a bantam mgl (1 older and one newer model) for baits up to 3 oz and I really like them, you’re never gonna have a bass pull drag on you if you’re locked down so imo the line capacity isn’t an issue. Big game is really thick line tho I think, I run 20 lb seaguar no issues so far for a few months now

Broo. I thought about the Tranx 200. But it seems like 3 out of the last 4 or 5 300/400 Tranx reels I’ve gotten have had a bearing or two go bad quickly. Did not want to have to worry about that right now. 

And I have some Bantam MGLs. I can almost spool one with #15 big game and 1 oz lures. It doesn’t have enough capacity to fish #20. 

Rbalden. Sounds good!

Bpayne. I would need to see and try the conquest first before ordering one from Japan. Maybe later on. Even if it’s smaller, round reels are never as ergonomically comfortable in the hand the way low profile reels are. 

Appreciate the suggestions, all. 

I'm a big fan of the Tatula 200HD, perfect balance of affordability and quality. If you've ever fished the normal tatula 200 it's the same thing but smoother, less spool play, and better components. Gotta have that T-wing!

2 hours ago, 5-20 said:

Even if it’s smaller, round reels are never as ergonomically comfortable in the hand the way low profile reels are. 

I said the same thing until I tried the Conquest. I have baby hands but the way the 200 size fits is amazing. Naturally low profile reels are more comfortable but there is zero issues when I use my Conquest all day.

Went with the Antares MD HG. 

Do you really need to fidget with all of the settings if you're throwing a wide range of baits from 1-4 oz or can you set it up once and just forget about it? 

PKNNH. Interesting. Will have to check the conquest out. 

I use Bantam MGL’s and Curado K’s for most of my baits. Wade hoggs, Minks, K9 etc. I use braid to leader so spool size doesn’t matter on the Bantam (it’s a 151).

My Curado K 201’s are money for these baits. I think maybe you should give the K another shot. I use 1 break on and loosen the spool just to the point I can kinda move it back and forth with my thumb on the spool. I never have an issue with adjusting. Of course adjustments are needed based of factors and conditions changing, but I wouldn’t consider this an issue. I like the K’s because Shimano has a 5:1 ratio and the 7 and 8. Consider the brand new Curado M if you don’t need the super slow ratio.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_Curado_200_M_Casting_Reels/descpage-SCRM.html