Florida December Swimbaits

jachandl1989

As someone still new to the game, I want to ask my fellow Floridians what they like to throw this time of year.  

Our weather is a little different than the rest of the country this time of year so I was curious if anyone had any particular confidence baits for our "Winter".

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, GoodVibez_TightLines said:

follow @ swamp_water_swimbait_co on Instagram, central Florida bait maker 

Brett's actually a friend!  I was an original tester of his Hammer Shad.  Can't wait until his new baits drop.

I do best with crankdowns. The lake I fish the most doesn't have much submerged grass. So, I fish the edge of pads or smartweed. If the weather has been nice for a few days, wakes still work. But, things can really vary from lake to lake. Some lakes I can do ok on glides, other lakes they don't look at them.

Depends what part of Florida you’re in because they northern part has more of a traditional winter while central Florida where I mostly fish it’s basically a fall feed straight to prespawn. Water clarity is the big factor on what works best in the typical tannic water something with some thump like a crankdown or wake is hard to beat in stained water. But there are some really clear lakes and lakes with a ton of hydrilla have clear areas so glides can be good. On clear lakes I’ve caught good fish on an albino phoney it mimics a spawned out tilapia. I’ve also done well a ghost perch Arashi glide. I’m usually throwing my glides around spawning areas or places fry could be hiding like shade. I’ve caught good fish off docks, canals, hard Kissimiee grass lines and pad edges. If you get on a big shallow grass flat and want to cover water a multi joint like a bull Shad does great. I really like a benson too for burning over grass. And in low light I’m usually throwing a spro bbz50 rat where you would a buzzbait. 

4 minutes ago, Rangermike said:

Depends what part of Florida you’re in because they northern part has more of a traditional winter while central Florida where I mostly fish it’s basically a fall feed straight to prespawn. Water clarity is the big factor on what works best in the typical tannic water something with some thump like a crankdown or wake is hard to beat in stained water. But there are some really clear lakes and lakes with a ton of hydrilla have clear areas so glides can be good. On clear lakes I’ve caught good fish on an albino phoney it mimics a spawned out tilapia. I’ve also done well a ghost perch Arashi glide. I’m usually throwing my glides around spawning areas or places fry could be hiding like shade. I’ve caught good fish off docks, canals, hard Kissimiee grass lines and pad edges. If you get on a big shallow grass flat and want to cover water a multi joint like a bull Shad does great. I really like a benson too for burning over grass. And in low light I’m usually throwing a spro bbz50 rat where you would a buzzbait. 

This is great!  I fish central Florida myself, East of Tampa.  Mostly pond hopping in the parks or neighborhoods.  The water clarity can vary from pond to pond so I try to stay versatile.  My general gameplan matches yours for the most part I think, throwback and toxic wake in the dirtier stuff and my deps 250 in the clearer areas.  I also have my armajoint that I have confidence in no matter the conditions.  Ive also got some good rats from Narrow Gate Baits that I have been waiting to take out at night.  Thanks so much for this info.