Advice needed regarding splitting the TS Destroyer Blackjack up into two rods

freelancer27

Hi all,

I have been fishing the Megabass TS Destroyer Blackjack for a bit longer than a year now and it is a fantastic do it all rod, that I have used for anything from Rats to the Deps 250. 

With me getting a bit more experience, I have started to play with the idea to expand my swimbait arsenal and replace the Blackjack with two rods.

First rod would be a rod that would be used for precise casting of rats, DRT TK (potentially K9), HPH and something like a 8" magdraft.  Reel would be a 2018 Antares DC with some 20-22lb Sunline Shooter Defier Armilo. 

The second rod would be for anything Deps 250 and above, including some larger single hook soft baits. The reel would be a 2023 Shimano Calcutta Conquest 401.

I was thinking to stay in the TS Destroyer line up (I love these rods) and go with a TS Casion and a TS King of Baccarat.  

Very interested to hear everybody's (first hand?) thoughts on my idea!  If there are any other rod recommendations that I should consider, I am all ears. Just love the looks and quality build of the TS Destroyers.

Thank you all!

-seb

21 hours ago, cchapraps said:

megabass world expedition 80XXH is phenomenal for 6oz + and perfect for bigger soft baits

Thanks, but two piece is the max I want to go at this point.

Anybody any feedback on my Destroyer TS thoughts? 

THanks!

For an accurate casting rod for baits in that 2-5 oz. range I'd highly recommend checking out big bait specific models in Legit Designs Wild Side series. I've got the 6'5" XXH and it is not only a super fun rod to fish but an absolute game changer in terms of accuracy and how tight of cover you can fish. They've also got travel models for a multiple piece option as well. There's also a thread on "short swimbait rods" in member reviews in which the King of Baccarac gets mentioned.

If you like the TS Destroyer line, the Poker is a great rod for TK and smaller lures. It handles like a regular bass rod in my opinion, but with just a touch longer butt section so you can kinda tuck it when needed. I’ve never tried any of the heavier ones other than Blackjack and Poker. 

1 hour ago, Whammy said:

If you like the TS Destroyer line, the Poker is a great rod for TK and smaller lures. It handles like a regular bass rod in my opinion, but with just a touch longer butt section so you can kinda tuck it when needed. I’ve never tried any of the heavier ones other than Blackjack and Poker. 

I do have the Poker and use it for larger keitechs, chatterbaits and smaller glides. I have thrown the TK on it as well. Doesnt feel ideal though.

Stumbled over a review of @Dink whisperer for the Okuma guide select and just ordered one from TW in XH. Will check it out. Maybe this will do it for a lot less than the King of Baccarat! ;-)