Latest rod build: NFC XRay 7109 MB w/ XO skeleton grip

WineVegGrower

Built this for pitching and skipping small glides around docks and cover. Working with the XO skeleton grip was certainly an interesting, and slightly nerve racking experience. Mainly the cutting off 15" of the blank part. Simple black wrap with silver trim bands came out looking clean. Replaced the stock EVA butt on the handle with a weighted cork one that changed the look up a bit and added some much needed weight in the back for balance. Torzite guide train to top it all off and keep the weight down on the blank. Feel free to ask questions about the handle, I know a lot of builders are curious about it and there isn't a ton of info out there on it36598C12-3200-401E-8155-6EA3FE7AB3B3.heicA9BD0243-FE56-403B-9D3C-2AD7E20C5E00.heic30D952BB-CD0C-46DB-9AAE-75DCE8897A29.heic

• 2 weeks later...

Still ice where I am so haven’t had a chance to get out. Hopefully hitting the river this week and can give you more details. But, from hanging baits in the garage I’d say anything less than 3 oz is gonna be fine but the sweet spot feels closer to 2oz

Should be able to get out this weekend, but here's some photos of it hanging baits I took for another guy, maybe you'd find them helpful too. I do think 3oz will throw fine, more than that and more of a lob cast is going to be the move. Certainly better blanks out there for the 3.25-3.5oz+ range 

On 2/7/2024 at 12:52 AM, ikaika said:

That would be super helpful if you do get it out on the water to test.  If it really can't throw above 3oz I'll have to decide if i just build it as a punching rod or if I dremel a couple inches off the tip and roll the dice for science!

Alright finally got out on the water this morning to test a few new rods. I can confidently say throwing 2.75-3oz is this rods max for long comfortable casting. Over 3 oz and the blank is under powered. 

Built out a BB809 for the K9 and thats the rod id pick up to throw glides over 3oz on. That blank can throw up to 6.5 oz I'd say based on tossing an iSlide 262T around.  

Hope that helps

21 hours ago, WineVegGrower said:

Alright finally got out on the water this morning to test a few new rods. I can confidently say throwing 2.75-3oz is this rods max for long comfortable casting. Over 3 oz and the blank is under powered. 

Built out a BB809 for the K9 and thats the rod id pick up to throw glides over 3oz on. That blank can throw up to 6.5 oz I'd say based on tossing an iSlide 262T around.  

Hope that helps

For sure, I appreciate the follow up!  I've got the 4-10oz range covered in my quiver and am really chasing the perfect blank for all my Toxics...the search continues.