Float Tubes?

BigBaitBlake

First of all, I'm pretty new around here, and want to get into the mix. I searched around a little bit, and didn't see too much about this, so here it goes:

I was wondering if anyone here float tubes. I and some of my friends have float tubes, but we barely take them out of the saltwater. They do everything we need in the harbors, but I was wondering if many people take them out for freshwater bass. I have tried a few times, but I feel like I'm walking on the fish. I have one swimbait setup (I'm 15), but the ability to take two rods on my tube. Also I don't have a fish finder or anything like that.

Any recommendations on techniques or anything to change from standard shore or fishing out of a boat is greatly appreciated. Also, definitely post any pics from float tubing, or just anything related to the topic. Btw I have 4 swimbaits; single joint slammer, the plastic punker, s-waver, and a 6 in spro.

I float tube a lot of ponds and small lakes and it gives you a lot more options than the shore especially if there are a lot of tullies around the bank. As far as how to fish out of them, just do it the same as you would in a boat.

welcome to the board, i used to fish out of a river pontoon a lot (kind of like a float tube but you sit out of the water). I fished pretty much rivers exclusively so the water did most of the work for me.

The advantage of a float tube is you can get places the boaters can't, use your size to your advantage and work angles. If i was in a tube I'd find a good point to fish and i'd hit it from multiple angles and try to figure out what depth the fish were at. Maybe look into getting yourself a hudd also, they pop up on the black market a decent price pretty frequently and they're the best bang for your buck for a sinking lure.

I know it sucks getting out on the lake early, especially if you're in a float tube but that slammer will do work at night and during the early morning hours, just be safe, boaters can be dumb, the last thing you want is to get blasted by a ranger doing 60 mph.

Pretty much all I fish out of, and for small lakes I actually think they can be better then boats. They are stealthier and can be easily controlled in wind and don't get blown around much so you can fish a spot really hard with little effort trying to sit on the same spot since you don't have to be on the motor and fish or try to paddle with a kayak. Check out west coast big baiters and watch some of their float tube footage

I love tubing.. I've tubes everything you can think of.. (Some really dumb things) :lol:

Kelp, Middle of SD bay, Harbors, giant golf course ponds, Lakes, rivers. Anything that has fish, and have always caught more fish than any other method of fishing. I've had plenty days where I've caught 10-20 more fish than people in boats around me. I think when you're tubing, you fish slower because you aren't able to gun around a lake like you are in a boat.

Definitely invest in a tube!

I love tubing.. I've tubes everything you can think of.. (Some really dumb things) :lol:

Kelp, Middle of SD bay, Harbors, giant golf course ponds, Lakes, rivers. Anything that has fish, and have always caught more fish than any other method of fishing. I've had plenty days where I've caught 10-20 more fish than people in boats around me. I think when you're tubing, you fish slower because you aren't able to gun around a lake like you are in a boat.

Definitely invest in a tube!

How did you do in the kelp? One time my buddy and I dared to go outside the jetty in Dana Point, and freaked cuz we thought we saw a big set outside. Btw I have a tube, just wondering other peoples perspective on it.

welcome to the board, i used to fish out of a river pontoon a lot (kind of like a float tube but you sit out of the water). I fished pretty much rivers exclusively so the water did most of the work for me.

The advantage of a float tube is you can get places the boaters can't, use your size to your advantage and work angles. If i was in a tube I'd find a good point to fish and i'd hit it from multiple angles and try to figure out what depth the fish were at. Maybe look into getting yourself a hudd also, they pop up on the black market a decent price pretty frequently and they're the best bang for your buck for a sinking lure.

I know it sucks getting out on the lake early, especially if you're in a float tube but that slammer will do work at night and during the early morning hours, just be safe, boaters can be dumb, the last thing you want is to get blasted by a ranger doing 60 mph.

I can actually wake up pretty well to go fish, gets me all excited and stuf haha. As for safety, the rich people in Newport can give you a run for your money when you're in the middle of the channel, those boats are just so big I feel like they can't see me. I typically stay close to the docks to make sure I stay outta the way, especially since it's hard to get the tubes going.

Where do you live dude ? Socal? I do a lot of bay fishing for spotties in Newport harbor in the tube and tube Perris lake and sliverwood in the summer

I live in HB, pound NPH all the time, even got some pretty good secrets to get there bit more often.

Cool dude hit me up sometime if your down to go fish Newport or Perris our something from the tube or what ever, you can shoot me a pm and I'll send you my contact info

Hey Blake - you'll get lots of good info on this board. My advice, seeing that you are 15 years old, is to enjoy the heck out of these years and get out on the water as much as you can. Once you have to get a job, start a family, etc your fishing time is going to drop off. Enjoy it now!!!!! Great to have you in SU.

Hey Blake - you'll get lots of good info on this board. My advice, seeing that you are 15 years old, is to enjoy the heck out of these years and get out on the water as much as you can. Once you have to get a job, start a family, etc your fishing time is going to drop off. Enjoy it now!!!!! Great to have you in SU.

great advice, enjoy your youth man!