Swimbaits for Taimen and Yellowcreek Carp?

Meatyogre

Fishing in June for Yellowcreek Carp in Chongming Island outside of Shanghai in China and in August for Taimen on the Shisgen and Tengis river in Mongolia. What would you throw?

Bit of a freshwater noob, but a lot of experience with saltwater fishing (jigging, popping, stickbaits). For YCK, we will be fishing heavy -- think PE5, 100lb leader. Taimen lighter, thinking PE 3 and PE4 and 40-50lb leader, along with a lighter setup for Lenok (trout) and Grayling. Gancraft 178s are my go-to. Also going to track down a Rat.

(very random, I got invited by a fishing friend, and it oddly works with existing travel, wife said yes, so I thought why not?).

I know the main forage guys throw for taimen are big mouse/rat flys. They seem to really go nuts for that profile. I’m not sure what/if the hook restrictions are but I know most flies are single hook. You could get a Bettencourt rat which he covers in fur and looks great, just not the best swimming rat without some tweaking and not sure if it would stand up to a big taimen but worth a look. I have one I’d be happy to send you for free if you fish it for taimen! That’s a bucket list fish for me. Except the flights/travel is absolutely insane. 

No idea about the other fish you asked about 

good luck on the trip! 

Sounds like the opportunity of a Lifetime! Mongolia is like #3 on my bucket list lol. I know of a guy in Japan that has caught Japanese Taimen on a DRT TinyKlash. shota_jenkins_konno is his Instagram username. He also has a YouTube channel called JENKINS CHANNEL where he has all sorts of videos of big trout on swimbaits. Pike Street Market is his brand as well.  If you message him he might take a few days to get back to you, but he's very helpful and a solid dude. Seeing that Mongolian Taimen are bigger than their Japanese counterparts, I would imagine that they would wack the crap out of a TK or even a K9. Good Luck and please share pics lol!

Edited by ThatKidInNY
minor spelling mistake

When my dad worked in Mongolia and Russia helping establish fishing lodges he got catch taimen on the regular with clients. Mostly fishing big streamers in flesh colors and big rat flies like a bigger version of what you’d fish for rainbows in AK. Apparently the locals would catch Taimen with a muskrat skin wrapped around a foam net buoy with a big Siwash style hook trailing off a length of chain. Something I really wish he’d brought back, we’ve got plenty of little salmon flies people made but none of the big taimen plugs. Bet a proper rat bait would absolutely get toasted. 
watching Gong Lei fish them, they seem very happy to eat topwater so some walking baits would probably come in clutch too. 
really hope I get to pursue them someday, I imagine they’ll likely go extinct in my life time.