Line For Small Glides, Wakes, Etc.

MidwestHooker

Hey guys, I just got a new set up- P5 Mark 56 with a Curado 200. I'm stumped on what line to spool it with. I'm planning on throwing Magdrafts, I-Wings, I-Slides, TKs, etc. On my other, bigger  glide rod I run 65lb MaxCuatro to 20lb Big Game and I haven't had a backlash cast off since switching from fluorocarbon. Would that be overkill for the downsized baits? I'm kinda apprehensive to throw anything expensive on straight fluorocarbon (although it may have been user error). What lines are y'all throwing for these 1-3 oz baits?

Straight #17 Inviz is good. It really helps if you can tie to a split ring so that is what pivots instead of tying directly to the lure eye which will fray the fluoro faster as the knot pivots and rubs against the eye on every cast. Some baits are just better without a split ring tho. Check your line frequently and cut off anywhere from 1' to 3' often and retie. 

Also, fluoro goes bad really fast. Don't overfill your reel. Less is more. Make smooth casts without backlashing and your spool of fluoro might last a month or more. But once you get a couple of backlashes, that whole section of fluoro will become rough, kinked and go bad really fast. If you're already backlashing or getting loose coils of line on your spool with fresh fluoro, cut off however much excess line you need to immediately until you see the line staying tight on your reel. 

#20 Inviz is even better if you have multiple set ups. Works great with a lot of 2-3 oz glides. It's too heavy for the TK tho.