Deps ss 250 messed up please HELP

BluJay

My one and only deps got messed up its a bb flash trout... Really bummed out!!! I had it in a box next to a savage gear line through and when I pulled it out the skin was bubbled up bad! I tried removing the skin to see if it was a trapped bubble but the skin itself is bubbled up bad! Any idea on how I can fix this or at least make it a little better? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-3839-14252993958436_thumb.jpg

Well, I can tell you what happened but I'm not sure I can give you a cure. What happened is the elastomer covering of the Deps has absorbed oils from the soft PVC based line-through. PVC (and some other polymers like SEBS) contain large amounts of oils. In fact the soft PVC used in fishing lures contains more oil than plastic. Your Deps SS skin has absorbed the oil and has swollen. "Oil Swell" is a very common test for things like rubber and elastomer gaskets. The amount of swelling depends on both the type of elastomer and the type of oil. So now that we know what happened, how do you reverse it? Well, I could not find much on that subject other than some advice to wash the parts in soap & water. I would say that makes some sense - what you need to do is get the oil out of the skin (if that is even possible) I would not try heating it since elastomers tipically absorb MORE oil when hot. You might try covering the bait for a week in some really absorbent material like talcum powder and hope that draws the oil out. Or try washing it once a day in Dawn or some other soap that is good at cleaning oils. Sorry for no exact cure but I'd give those a try. Don't try to rush it and do something that will make it worse. Good luck!

one of my s wavers did that. it was in a plano tray and no other lure appeared to be touching it. i have no clue how it happened, an am curious to how it did.

Swavers are air tight if left where they could get hot the air inside expands and causes the plastic to swell or pop...

one of my s wavers did that. it was in a plano tray and no other lure appeared to be touching it. i have no clue how it happened, an am curious to how it did.

Swavers are air tight if left where they could get hot the air inside expands and causes the plastic to swell or pop...

thx blujay for the explanation.

That same thing happened to mine but not as bad. I was worried about it. Went and threw it all day on the next trip. When it dried in the sun it tightened and the bubbles went away. So go throw it and see what happens next.