g. loomis rod for hudd help

Patbass

First post here, I have searched a lot. While I'm not new to swimbaits I am looking for some insight into three rods. The g.loomis swbr955, swbr956 and the bbr965. The heaviest swimbaits I plan on casting are 5 ounces. I already have the g.loomis swbr904 and like the action of the rod blank for smaller baits. The main lures I would like to throw with the new heavier rod are hudds, bbz -1, 8" triple trout. I am looking for a rod that can handle the hudd without a problem but also cast 2-3 ounce lure as well. Thanks Patrick

The 956 hands down, but it will be a little much for 2-3 ounce baits but not by much. I also throw the 955 and the BBR extensively, and have been for 7 or 8 years. Neither of these will work well for an 8" Hudd. I will say I love both of them for other baits though.

Look into the bbr966 over the swbr 956 you get an extra inch and it's a little bit cheaper I honestly can't tell the difference in the two blanks..when your looking for a big stick don't hesitate to get the swbr 957 I love the blanks

Look into the bbr966 over the swbr 956 you get an extra inch and it's a little bit cheaper I honestly can't tell the difference in the two blanks..when your looking for a big stick don't hesitate to get the swbr 957 I love the blanks

IMO the swbr956 has a faster taper, where the bbr966 is slower/more parabolic.

It also depends on your personal preference as well. I have the G. Loomis GL2 957C which a lot of people say it's a broomstick, but I like my rods on the stiffer side :lol: especially when I get bit from far away. It helps me set the hook with less effort.

• 4 weeks later...