calico tackle?

vncnt

+1. The only thing that I highly suggest is that when you are done fishing, immediately rinse your rods and reels with freshwater to prevent any form of rust. As for as Swimbait Gear though, Trevor is right w/ the Curado 300 or Lexa 300 or anything similar. As for a rod, I would suggest any traditional swimbait rod from 7'3" Heavy to 8'6" XH or XXH and you should be set. Make sure you are also either fishing straight 65 lb+ braid line or braid to at least a 3' 40lb fluorocarbon leader in case you get hung up in the kelp.

If you have any questions regarding fishing calicos, feel free to PM me and I'll help you out the best I can.

Thanks fellas.

I've got a lexa 300 and an irod large swim. I should be set. I'm in the LA area. Any recommendations on where to get started? I'd have to go on a party boat as i don't own or know anyone that owns a boat. Any recommendations on jigheads, weights and what swimbaits? MC swimbaits seem to be pretty popular.

thanks again guys

• 4 weeks later...
are you calico guys using traditional calico tackle or freshwater swimbait gear? i'd like to get into some, but want to be properly equipped first.

My inshore (break wall, in the bay, and closer to mainland)

Skeet Reese flippi 'n' pitch (1/2-2oz)

Shimano Chronarch e6

50lb power pro red braid

25lb Fluoro Leader

Offshore/island (catalina, san clemente, Palos Verdes, etc....)

Shiman Crucial Swimbait Rod Heavy (5-8oz)

Shimano Calcutta 300TE

65lb Power Pro Moss Green

30-40lb Fluoro leader (30 for kelp 40 for rocks)