MS Slammer Night Fishing

johnnnydukess

I've been debating on pulling the trigger on a regular slammer for late evening wake bait action into the night. All black seems to be an obvious choice, but I was looking for some second opinons, really like the white slammer as well. Any input from some slammer veterans would be appreaciated.

9†2X gets my vote mostly because it’s a lot louder than the 1X, lighter colors like white on moon lit nights and dark colors on the dark nights. This was 1 of my better Mass night time 2X fish.

post-229-14252996065803_thumb.jpg

I've done well on both the X1 and X2 9" Slammers at night. The single-joint is my favorite, but the X2 definitely makes more of a commotion. Color doesn't seem to matter that much - I think the fish are looking for silhouettes that are blocking the natural light and a solid (opaque) lure has much the same silhouette regardless of whether it is all black, all white, or countershaded (like the rainbow trout Slammer I normally throw). I think that the noise/vibration of the Slammer calls the fish in, and by the time they are close enough to see it (especially on a dark night), they're committed to the kill.

Great insight guys I really appreciate it, I figured as much about the color not meaning as much as the action of the bait. Nice fish Dan, must be a rush to hook a giant in the darkness on the top. Can't wait to experience the feeling!

7" Slammer in Hitch has been my best producer as far as bites. I've probably caught 30+ fish between the two I've had. The biggest is only 5lbs 7oz, winner from last June's SUB tourney. It's got a nice silvery white body that works damn well, need to pick a 9" in that color as well. I had a white one but only caught one dink smallie on it.

For 9", I just use my regular dark trout for night fishing. I've been wanting to get a black 9", but just haven't done it yet. Biggest so far on it was right before dawn on the darkest bank I could find, 8lbs 6oz in the Battle for the Underground tourney last year(gonna throw a slammer this week :lol: ).

I'm all pumped for slammer fishing just thinking about it now :lol: I don't even bother throwing a different bait at night, the slammer bite has just been that good. Seems like if you hear a big splash when you get a bite, probably a dink. Almost all of my good ones at night have just kinda sucked it under. Good luck man, can't beat a slammer for night fishing IMO :D

I've caught fish on mini, 7" and 9" slammers at night. I'm not sure color really mattered. I did recently get a 9" black with glow in the dark back for night fishing but the back won't glow without a charge anyway so its kind of silly.

No experience on the X2 but if DSouth says its good, then its good

7" Slammer in Hitch has been my best producer as far as bites. I've probably caught 30+ fish between the two I've had. The biggest is only 5lbs 7oz, winner from last June's SUB tourney. It's got a nice silvery white body that works damn well, need to pick a 9" in that color as well. I had a white one but only caught one dink smallie on it.

For 9", I just use my regular dark trout for night fishing. I've been wanting to get a black 9", but just haven't done it yet. Biggest so far on it was right before dawn on the darkest bank I could find, 8lbs 6oz in the Battle for the Underground tourney last year(gonna throw a slammer this week :lol: ).

I'm all pumped for slammer fishing just thinking about it now :lol: I don't even bother throwing a different bait at night, the slammer bite has just been that good. Seems like if you hear a big splash when you get a bite, probably a dink. Almost all of my good ones at night have just kinda sucked it under. Good luck man, can't beat a slammer for night fishing IMO :D

That's some awesome input man. Thanks for sharing, I love hearing about slammer fish. Out of all of all the baits I've seen in person and in film, I feel the slammer really appeals to me the most. I need to get my hands on one and start chucking. Getting pumped up talking about it haha.

Appreciate the response, hell of a fish by the way! I'm looking to break out of the 6 LB class and I think the slammer will be the bait to do it. :D

They make a color called "Moonbite", white on top and black on the bottom. Worked great for me. I could track the white top fairly easy.

Interesting. That actually makes a lot of sense to me, especially since I'm blind as ish and can't see at night, the white on top would help me out. :shock:

I've caught fish on mini, 7" and 9" slammers at night. I'm not sure color really mattered. I did recently get a 9" black with glow in the dark back for night fishing but the back won't glow without a charge anyway so its kind of silly.

No experience on the X2 but if DSouth says its good, then its good

I'm gona go with the 9" Slammer, probly get both the 1X and the 2X. Might even consider the 12" ! The stocker trout in Mass seem to be between 10-12 inches, even bigger. Makes sense to match the plant right?? :lol: