Weedless Swimbait for fishing Calico's in the Kelp??????

Palu_Au

I'm more concerned with WHERE I'm fishing. Open water in just kelp I'll throw just about any of em. However, fishing up tight in the boilers around surge, I'll grab a PEARL or Island Plastic, reason being they are a harder plastic with a bigger tail so they thump much harder. I feel like they can track it better than a bait that is a softer bait or smaller tail, almost like a rattling bait in stained water.

Having said all that, 99% of the time I'd grab a PEARL or Island Plastic, I know the guys personally and love the baits.

All the weedless plastic applications are essentially the same but it all comes down to the size of the bait you want to fish and the color preference.

If you are looking for something a little different, there is a guy down in SD that has been pouring up some cool new bait patterns and he calls himself "badbassbaits" on Instagram (his name is Mike). He makes a slender "mack attack" bait sort of like an MC Viejos but the plastic is a bit thicker so it'll withstand more hookups.

Now that warbaits came out with this 10/0 heads it makes it much easier to fish the baits and the hook up ratio is much better because you aren't getting as many short bites.

I've also recently seen some guys throwing 6" weedless hudds in the kelp but I haven't tried it. They all work but the key is "matching the hatch." Brown baits work best IMO --

I've been trying to purchase from Island Plastics, but I'm guessing it's a small circle of folks that are able to fish his stuff... Anytime Performance Tackle gets some Ceez Candiez in, I try and stock up. I've thrown a weedless rainbow colored 68 in the kelp at SCI and landed a few... nothing of notable size, but they sure did hit it. It worked on the outer breakwall in San Pedro too. My go to is the warbait 2oz w/ Ceez or Viejos... depending what's still in the box.