Curado 300 vs. Lexa 300

basstastic27

I like them both. Had my DSV a long time now (both of them) but the Lexa I has grown on me. I'm going to try all Lexa soon in different gear ratios for different applications. Both are great but I want to pick up the same reel when I grab another stick . I can get a 5 to 1 for hudds and slow retrieves. Anyway. Both are nice. Not sure of the life of a Lexa but they just got done kicking ass on a bunch of big fish/limits so I'm sold. ;) Lexa Lexa Tito's! :lol:

I have and fish both. The Lexa is a great reel for the price but if you don't mind spending the extra cash, I think the cuardo is worth it. I personally like the feel of my curado more, but you wont be disappointed with either one.

Curado hands down!! The Lexa feels like crap...

I had my Lexa for a long time. At first it was great but then started squeaking. Further investigation revealed a bushing under the spool tension knob. Kinda poor so I upgraded to all ABEC 7s. That was great for a while until recently when the handle broke free from the reel itself. Might be a one-off issue but when I asked a few people I wasn't the only one to have this happen to them :(

Pic below shows where the threads broke loose :(

post-172-14252996945093_thumb.jpg

For the higher gear ratio applications, I prefer the Curado, to me it feels more solid. That is why I recently sold a Lexa. But, as others have mentioned, there are no slower gear ratios offered in the Curado. So, I plan on getting another Lexa soon in the low gear ratio.

I had my Lexa for a long time. At first it was great but then started squeaking. Further investigation revealed a bushing under the spool tension knob. Kinda poor so I upgraded to all ABEC 7s. That was great for a while until recently when the handle broke free from the reel itself. Might be a one-off issue but when I asked a few people I wasn't the only one to have this happen to them :(

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

Just out of curiosity, was there excessive oil, grease, or even water trapped in the bearing area when tightening the screws? It can create a hydraulic effect (the bottom of the driveshaft acting as a piston) and if it expands from heat like going from your air conditioned house to fishing in the sun. It expands and lifts and something has to give so the screws that hold plate down threads let go.

Also a common issue on screw holes that don't have an exit, putting grease or oil on the screw before tightening can cause a hydraulic pressure and crack frames or blow screws out. Calcutta TE and Millionaires have been known for that.

dude, you WILL NOT beat a lexa for the money, i promise. The reel is an absolute workhorse, and the best reel I've bought for the money. credit to shimano, the curado is still a hell of a reel, but just can't seem to work its way back into my heart.

Your review definitely sold me on the LEXA, thanks a lot man

Just out of curiosity, was there excessive oil, grease, or even water trapped in the bearing area when tightening the screws? It can create a hydraulic effect (the bottom of the driveshaft acting as a piston) and if it expands from heat like going from your air conditioned house to fishing in the sun. It expands and lifts and something has to give so the screws that hold plate down threads let go.

Also a common issue on screw holes that don't have an exit, putting grease or oil on the screw before tightening can cause a hydraulic pressure and crack frames or blow screws out. Calcutta TE and Millionaires have been known for that.

Great analysis. I don't believe there was much there as far as grease or oil goes. When I took the reel apart, it was a bit greasy. Probably a trick to make it seem smoother. I did have to do a bit of cleanup but not too bad. The bushing under the tension knob was loaded with grease.

The screws used were tiny and against a plastic frame, I can see how they'd strip out like that. I seem to put a lot of pressure on the handle when I grind fish in. Oh well :?

Next on the list are the Okuma offerings.

-Ali

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

Well, I see your problem. You fish too much!

Curado>all