String of PBs on a 6.5" Big Hammer

FishDr

I had to take a business trip to Europe and was fortunate enough to work out the logistics, finances, and, most importantly, spousal clearance for a 6-day side-trip to Spain to throw swimbaits in one or more of their rivers for wels catfish and whatever else might hit. The last time I did this was about 4 years ago and in a 1/2 morning drift, was lucky enough to catch 3 of the wels catfish running from 20 - 30 lbs. I hoped to match that success on this trip, and perhaps even increase the size of my PB wels. This time I had my own gear (Curado 301D, 7' H Ocean Master 3-piece travel casting rod, rated for 15 - 25 lb line and capable of throwing 1 - 4 ounces, and 65# PowerPro. I also brought along a variety of Big Hammer tails and heads, and Warbaits 10/0 1 oz. Slayer heads and Slayer swim jigs, a couple of 7" Mission Fish, and a pair of 9" Slammers. I also brought along a friend, a fellow swimbait junkie and he also brought along some swimbait gear, with a Cabelas H 3-piece travel rod, 80# PowerPro, and a Corvalus CVL301 reel.

The trip started off well, and I caught my first catfish, and a new PB at about 31 lbs on the Big Hammer/Slayer head combo - I ended up catching all of my fish on that combo.

file_zpsfa66a50c.jpg

The next day I caught one catfish, but it wasn't bigger than the first, but it was still fun. I did, however, get my shorts fed to me by a big cat. When the fish started to run just seconds after I set the hook, the reel gave up no line (bad drag, misplaced thumb, I don't know), and the 65# braid was pulled clear down to the spool and then snapped with a surprisingly loud CRACK! I was, as they say, devastated, especially when (1) I couldn't get the line out to put the reel back into service, and (2), I'd left my spare reel at our lodging, because I figured "I wouldn't need it). The guide was sure I'd just lost a trophy fish in the 70 - 80 lb range and I was frankly feeling slightly lower than, well, a leech on a

catfish's belly.

On the third day things got a little crazy.

First I caught this 33-lb cat, setting a new PB.

file_zpse5fad114.jpg

Not more than three casts later, I hooked and landed this 35-kb cat, and again raised the PB bar.

file_zpsac7dc185.jpg

And then I blew the prior PBs (all 3 of them) clear out of the water and into low earth orbit with this beast. It measured 6 feet long and weighed 90 lbs!!!

file_zpsf000cfd3.jpg

file_zps2714a020.jpg

file_zps450c8e2c.jpg

This was, without a doubt, the best swimbait trip yet!!!

Oh, and then there's my friend. He also caught a few catfish, culminating in the fish of the trip and life time. Unlike me, he was throwing a 1/2 oz Tora Spin (replacing the tube with a 6.5" Big Hammer) at the fish and they did seem to like it. This one sure did…

file_zps682c138a.jpg

The monster fish was 7'6" long (no, that's not a typo), weighed a mind-blowing 165 lbs - caught on a BigHammer crossed with a Tora spin, and flat inhaled the lure. I may have set a new PB but I'm clearly not worthy!

That's awesome!!! Those are the catfish that will crush birds on the waters edge right?

Yes, those are the ones. It was easily the best swimbait trip I've done - somehow casting for bass and big walleye just isn't going to be the same - unless someone genetically modifies them to grow into triple digits!

• 2 weeks later...