Slammer strikes again

chefchris

Got out yesterday around 515am, to beat the heat and crowds. rigged the crawdad with new floors and reenforced the seats, even though i stand up 905 of the time, its a great little boat

post-4258-14253001722365_thumb.jpg

main bait was a deep crank ms slammer in perch color, rigged with owner st-41 hooks being thrown on the LDC heavy production model with a calcutta 400 TE

Hit a new pond in mass, ive been looking at, place gets 3 trout stockings a year and has produced some impressive pin fish over the years, 7-9lb range is huge out here.

I dont have a fish finder yet on the crawdad so I downloaded the navionics app for the iphone, the thing worked great, lots of options and real time tracking and you can pin where you caught fish. need to play around with it more but first impression is its worth the $10

post-4258-14253001713582_thumb.png

first stop was a deep water dock that went out into about 9 feet, made a cast parallel to the dock and it got hammered dead center of the dock, fish went 3lbs 6oz, and was almost flat, not really round like they usually are and had a gray color to it. Nice when you see a piece of structure like that and think there should be a fish right there and it pays off.

post-4258-14253001721307_thumb.jpg

made a few moves and tried some spots then found a great piece of structure, about a 100 yards long by 20 yards wide rock boulder field, water depth is about 6 feet and the rocks are all sizes, hit my second fish in here, 4lbs 13oz, nice healthy clean looking fish.

decided to make a second pass over it cause it looked so fishy, about half way thru had a massive follower, fish was 12-18" away from the slammer and was just checking it out, thought it was a pike at first then it turned away, a serious trophy fish for our waters.

then had to make two more drifts throwing the slammer and hudd, but no love.

post-4258-14253001721702_thumb.png

place got crazy with boat traffic and kids screaming so packed it in around 10am.

i also threw the mattlures dead twitch covered in trout scent on my other set up and just let it bob around in the water while i drifted, really neat looking bait and cool action, cant wait to see it blown up or taken down.

one collage pic of the two fish, really need to rig the go pro or digital to take timed pics, instead of the iphone selfie

post-4258-14253001722833_thumb.jpg

hopefully be back there next week, only got to fish one side of the pond and didnt even get to hit the deep water in the center

tight lines

Chef

Nice fish Chef, I'm in central Mass, and, the Slammer is one of my favorite swimbaits so far. Nothing like it stopping mid swim... :) How big you figure the Bass that followed and had a staring contest with your slammer ?

Nice fish Chef, I'm in central Mass, and, the Slammer is one of my favorite swimbaits so far. Nothing like it stopping mid swim... :) How big you figure the Bass that followed and had a staring contest with your slammer ?

honestly i would say in the 7-8lb range, maybe more???

its really tough to say, but the fact i thought it was a pike at first gives you an idea of the length, plus its underwater, either way it would have been a solid fish, you can tell i tried over and over again based on the second nav pic i posted. :D

ill be spending a lot more time on this body of water, especially after labor day when things quiet down.

was so peaceful at sunrise until the kids started screaming and boats flying around