S-Waver 200 info needed

War44Eagle

As everyone can see by my post count I'm not exactly an expert swimbait fisherman but I have been reading a lot here and picked up a few things here and there. I think I've pretty much read every thread on the S-Waver (168) I can find here and I've even attempted a few of the mods I've learned about. That's not my question today though.

I would like you guys to enlighten me on all things S-Waver 200 if you don't mind. I want to catch fish on this bait so bad, I'm not exactly sure why I just do. It's my only "real" swimbait so far so I suppose maybe this is the reason I'm wanting to have good success with it. So far zero.

I'm fishing central AL, Lay Lake (where the Classic was held this past Feb), Lake Mitchell (small 13 mile lake connecting Lay and Jordan), and Lake Jordan. All 3 lakes are very good lakes that are filled with Coosa River spotted bass. Lay has it's fair share of nice size 10 to 12 pound largemouths as well.

So far I can't seem to get them excited about the 200, I know it's me and not the lure. I'm looking for any tips, help, advice, whatever you guys can give me that pertains to this bait. Are there any mods I should make? Do you have a certain retrieve that seems to work for you more often than others? I know there isn't a perfect retrieve for every situation I'm simply looking for anything I can use to help me gain some confidence in this lure.

The only things I've done to it are change the split rings to Owners in the same size as stock and switched out the trebles for ST-56's also same size as the originals. Oh and the color I have is Warden. The spots down here love chartreuse so I chose this color because of it's light chartreuse lateral line and all chartreuse tail. Lastly I've been fishing it on 20# CXX.

Thanks in advance for anything you can give me guys, and remember, take it easy on me I'm new at this.

seeing im new to swimbait fishing this year, ill share my love for the 200 waver

this was one of the first baits i grabbed, i picked up the lite trout color and the regular trout, left the hooks and rings stock, they felt pretty good and our state record is 10lbs 6oz so not a ton of DD cruising around

the light trout color has worked great and gotten the most action

first trip out was early season, just after ice out, fishing the bait slow was key, letting the reel do all the work, a quick reel sends it gliding to either side, first day out all i caught was two massive pickerel, one 4.5lbs and the other just under 6lbs.

hit my first solid bass on it shortly after, was fishing from shore and throwing it parallel to the shore, slow retrieve with long glides using the reel, fish hammered it so hard, that fish went 5lbs 8oz and was fat either with eggs or fresh stocked trout .

ive taken a bunch of other fish on it since, again all slow spped, and on the glide and pause technique.

since the water has warmed up, about 74-77 now i havent gotten a hit on it or any other glide for the matter, so dont know if the bass are liking the slow retrieve when they are slow/low water temps or just a trout eating mood due to the stockings.

ive fished it every trip, tried burning it, slow, moderate, etc, and nothing.

i will say for the $35 its a killer lure and easily replaced which is a big plus, especially for new guys.

I have the warden and party crasher too, but no love on those either, just thr two trout colors, with the lite trout being the go to.

you could probably sand the joints down like the 168, add some suspend strips under it for a quicker sink, etc

keep throwing it man, it will pay off, good luck man

Chris pretty much said it all. Get the trout color. I havnt done anything on warden either. Also havnt done much on it this summer, but it was killer in the spring. I suspect it will be on again october. Slow and steady normally, if it's windy I usually fish it fast.

Even though I'm up in New England I got to fish Lay Lake for a week when my tournament partner Randy qualified for the Classic a couple of years ago. That lake has great bass fishing! We even boated a 21# striper one day.

The 168 Waver was one of the first swim baits I started with, and I've caught lots of fish with it though I don't throw it very much these days (usually using bigger baits). I did very well on the S-200 last year in the late fall when the water temps dropped into the 50s and 40s. I used a pretty steady, very slow retrieve much like slow rolling a spinnerbait and got bit very well. The same retrieve worked for me this spring starting the day of ice-out. I've had the best success on the Party Crasher color.

I have not had nearly as much success in the warm weather with the S-200, more followers than takers. On many of those days I've switched over to a Hardgill, Slammer, rat, etc and gotten much better results. So for me, it seems to be more of a colder water bait, though I'm not sure why. It also has done better in rivers with some current versus lakes. Hope that helps.

Thank you so very much to all 3 of you. That helps tremendously. I don't have anything even resembling a Trout in the lakes I'm fishing, do you guys still think it's the color I should get? Most of the research I read said that the S-Waver was most effective during winter but it never said anything about it becoming practically useless in the summer.

Oh well not to long to go until cooler temps again, the water here was in the high 80's last time I was out which was about a month ago so I'm sure it's reached 90 at least by now.

I might pick up a Yellow Perch as well just to see how that might do just because I frog fish a lot and the Spro Bronzeye Shad in Wicked Perch (same color) does extremely well. Just to clarify I want Light Trout, not Rainbow Trout correct.

Thank you so very much to all 3 of you. That helps tremendously. I don't have anything even resembling a Trout in the lakes I'm fishing, do you guys still think it's the color I should get? Most of the research I read said that the S-Waver was most effective during winter but it never said anything about it becoming practically useless in the summer.

Oh well not to long to go until cooler temps again, the water here was in the high 80's last time I was out which was about a month ago so I'm sure it's reached 90 at least by now.

I might pick up a Yellow Perch as well just to see how that might do just because I frog fish a lot and the Spro Bronzeye Shad in Wicked Perch (same color) does extremely well. Just to clarify I want Light Trout, not Rainbow Trout correct.

I've never used the light trout...rainbow works well for me. And it wont matter that you dont have trout, they still work. Good call on trying out the perch, tho!

Add one more to the list of zero action this summer on an s waver. I smoked um pre spawn and during. I have tremendous confidence in wavers. Water temps warmed and Ive had no glide bait action. On color I have had best results on lite trout and we dont have ANY trout in my local waters. They look real enough swimming I had a seagull dive in and actually pluck it from the water back in march. He was flying off with it holding it by the back when I yanked it away from him. No one believes me and to be perfectly honestly if I wasn't there I probably wouldn't either. If you crack the code of warm water s wavers please fill me in cause I'm missing it

Thanks again, as of right now I'm planning to order tomorrow.

Add one more to the list of zero action this summer on an s waver. I smoked um pre spawn and during. I have tremendous confidence in wavers. Water temps warmed and I've had no glide bait action. On color I have had best results on lite trout and we don't have ANY trout in my local waters. They look real enough swimming I had a seagull dive in and actually pluck it from the water back in march. He was flying off with it holding it by the back when I yanked it away from him. No one believes me and to be perfectly honestly if I wasn't there I probably wouldn't either. If you crack the code of warm water s wavers please fill me in cause I'm missing it

Well you know if you guys can't get them to go on it during the summer then I might as well just stay home but if by some miracle I do stumble onto something I'll certainly post it. About the only real chance I figure I'll have is to find a few key "slack water" pools close to the dam and wait for them to turn on the turbines.

This certainly isn't anything new on our lakes as this is where the majority of the tournaments are won during the summer. Mostly by guys throwing the A-Rig. Also there are plenty of guys that like to fish for the Stripe and that's also where they can be found.

My challenge will be finding just the right spots to fish the S-Waver because as you guys well know it isn't exactly the same as fishing an A-Rig or a heavily weighted paddle tail. Anyway thanks again fella's and I'll report back if I find out anything that I think might be relevant to this discussion.