Reel? New to big baits

possumsflip

I'm new to big baiting . I'm considering purchasing a new reel for my big bait setup and was wondering what y'all thought of the : Okuma Komodo 350; Diawa Lexa 300 or Shimano Curado 300 ? Any info will be appreciated , I'm thinking of mounting it on the okuma guide select , right now I'm throwing slide swimmers 175s & some big soft baits :?

I'm new to swimbaits but not new to reels or bass fishing. Most likely any of those will do, Shimano Curado 300, Lew's has some offerings also (300) size, Diawa 300, Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast or NAcl, Okuma 350 may be good too. Pick the one you have most confidence in. I also see Quantam offers a big reel in a 300 size. You have your pick.

I'll admit this right off the top so as to add a "disclaimer" of sorts, I'm a Shimano man to the bone so take that into consideration.

Now having said that I'll agree with the previous guys that suggested a Curado 300. I have a 301E that I've been using for the past year and a half to two years for the A-Rig and lately my small swimbait collection. Fantastic reel for these type techniques, I've "upgraded" mine with ceramic hybrid spool bearings and a Carbontex drag.

Neither of which were necessary but I'm just one of those guys that loves tinkering with my gear. Of the two I'd say the drag upgrade was by far the best improvement to the reel's performance. The stock spool bearings (when properly cleaned/flushed and lightly oiled) provide very good performance and are much quiter than the ceramic hybrid bearings. If I had it to do over I'd just stick with the stock bearings and only upgrade the drag.

Overall I've been 100% satisfied with my 301E and would definitely recommend one to anyone looking for a reel that's a little "heavier duty" than the normal low pros. I will admit though that the Calcutta D 301 looks very interesting and I love the silver color as well. I'll probably end up picking one of these up at some point. The Calcutta Conquest is in an entirely different league and from all accounts one of the absolute best round reels made.

Good luck with your search.