Good Mass Bass: 7-1 on the Mattlure Perch

waynem

I've had an awesome 2014 swimbait year with a little more than 2 dozen between 5 and 6-9 but I consider trophy size in New England to start at 7 pounds. And while I had a couple over 7# hooked earlier this year, neither made it into the boat. That changed this week with this 7-1. Bring on the fall bite!

post-3793-14253003826752_thumb.jpg

post-3793-14253003827767_thumb.jpg

post-3793-14253003829166_thumb.jpg

The bait is a slow sink. The spot is the tip of an underwater point where it drops quickly from 9 feet down to 15 feet. There are also a couple of boulders on the tip along with a small patch of coontail weed. It's about as ideal a spot as you can get. I was swimming the bait along probably 6 or 7 feet down when she sucked it in.

Nice fish partner. :) I'm honored to have grown up fishing with you for years now. The years we teamed up in the money tournaments and kept winning, the club tournaments, the days in the pram. You are one of the best bass fisherman in Massachusetts, and, after surpassing my personal record of 26 bass in one year of 5 LBS and up, you have accomplished a great feat, and, the year isn't over yet. I knew when you retired from work about a year ago, the bass better bury their heads in the coontail because you were gonna be on their tails. Great fishing Chuck, and keep casting.... ;):)