Stationed in Okinawa

dheath2

Would anyone know anything about availability of Deps/other cool Japanese lures guys in the U.S. go gaga for in Japan? I just got here a few days ago but I have seen some tackle shops. Bass fishing locations are hard to come by down here on these islands but I hope to fish mainland Japan a few times while I'm here for the next three years. I won't be able to reunite with my gear for at least a few more weeks while my wife and I get settled.

Would anyone know anything about availability of Deps/other cool Japanese lures guys in the U.S. go gaga for in Japan? I just got here a few days ago but I have seen some tackle shops. Bass fishing locations are hard to come by down here on these islands but I hope to fish mainland Japan a few times while I'm here for the next three years. I won't be able to reunite with my gear for at least a few more weeks while my wife and I get settled.

I think your best bet is going to be mainland Japan. I was at Okinawa for 3 and a half years from 2002-2006 and seen 3 or 4 tackle shops, all selling saltwater gear only. The only freshwater I seen that could hold bass was a water supply and about 99.9% positive you couldn't fish it but I could be wrong. I also didn't care much for fishing when I was over there, so I could of overlooked a lot of things.

Get on FB and hit up Takatoshi Murase, he might be able to tell you about something I missed while I was over there and also help you out when you go to Tokyo/Mainland. I'm not big on the Brigade, but there are a few guys in it that I really like and have helped me out and he is one of them. Also, might be worth your time getting on the other swimbait forum and hitting up Yendor. He can be found in the buy sell trade section over there pretty easily and I'm pretty sure he works with a tackle store in mainland Japan somewhere. One of those two should be able to point you in the right direction as to where the good tackle shops are in mainland and more than likely it's going to be Tokyo or Osaka.

Back when I was at Oki, flights to Tokyo were pretty cheap and it's only a 2 hour flight, so you should be able to go on a normal weekend. I can't recommend the Prince Shinagawa enough, greatest hotel I've ever stayed at and enough things to do at the hotel that you honestly don't need to leave it! If you go to Camp Fuji like I did 10 plus times for artillery shoots, then you won't be far from Tokyo either. You can leave in the morning and be back by that night. Definitely go to Fuji if you get the chance, beautiful mountain, snowboarding and the Gotemba outlets are nice.

If you're unable to find anything to fish freshwater wise on Oki, start getting out on the salt. I regret not fishing saltwater and diving when I was over there. The island has a ton to offer, but bass fishing isn't high on the list or even on it that I know of. Best of luck, ganbatte kudasai :P

Arrigatto for the reply! I am on camp foster and I will be getting a couple cars for my wife and I. There are 2 places to bass fish here on oki but you can only fish the one. Apparently the locals eat every one they catch so perhaps not the best fishery. I do plan on making many trips to the main land to fish while I am here. I like salt, did a lot of it while I was Florida.

Arrigatto for the reply! I am on camp foster and I will be getting a couple cars for my wife and I. There are 2 places to bass fish here on oki but you can only fish the one. Apparently the locals eat every one they catch so perhaps not the best fishery. I do plan on making many trips to the main land to fish while I am here. I like salt, did a lot of it while I was Florida.

That's awesome, didn't even know there was bass on the island! And yeah as much as the Japanese like fish, they're not gonna throw much back :lol: Hope you stick a monster on Biwa if you go!

• 2 weeks later...