Spro Rat?

stinkbait

Rago has a patent on his design. Other rats can be made legally as long as they are different then his design or if they work out a royalty with Rago.

I haven't ready Rago's patent so I don't know the specifics of who might or might not be infringing.

As for kids making the spro rat. I believe they are made in china so its possible.

That is crazy. There has been mouse/rat baits out way before he has born...like the Heddon meadow mouse and Paw Paw mouse, etc.....

That's like saying any jointed bait needs to pay Creek chub....

Bring rat fising to the masses. Thanks again for another genius bait idea Bill!!!! Im sure the kids making 30 cents a day will praise you for making them work 20 hr shifts

We should be paying $100 for molded plastic lures made in the US right?

I dont know what YOU should pay. People pay thousands for persian rugs made by children that work for enough money a day to buy some rice. thats their choice. I jsut molded a rat and was going to offer it for sale. I wanted to make the price point at like 75 or 80$. THen with materials for the baits, materials for production molding, overhead for lights, electricity, gloves, paper towel, measure and mixing cups for resin, sandpaper, paint, solvents, resperator, taxes, fees, id make enough for a bowl of rice a day. THis isnt counting how many hours went into carving and testing so many rats throughout the years, the preliminary molds to test a shape in resin. All to sell on a small scale, a couple dozen baits here and there. This is why im not selling any, even tho they have been very productive. Because the amount of work wont equal sh*t for a return. Its simple business. Small guys dont make bulk and get bulk pricing. Pay 30 for a bait made by in china. THat is your choice. I do shop small business, I do pay more for baits made by some guy. I appreciate a mans work and dedication to something and can appreciate the craftsmanship and love that goes into a bait. I wouldnt INSULT a bait maker by telling him i would rather buy a china rat than his because I feel his prices are too high and he should make less per hour than he thinks he deserves... thats just me tho.

Rago has a patent on his design. Other rats can be made legally as long as they are different then his design or if they work out a royalty with Rago.

I haven't ready Rago's patent so I don't know the specifics of who might or might not be infringing.

As for kids making the spro rat. I believe they are made in china so its possible.

That is crazy. There has been mouse/rat baits out way before he has born...like the Heddon meadow mouse and Paw Paw mouse, etc.....

You missed what I wrote. If a bait infringes upon HIS DESIGN then he could have reason to act. HIS DESIGN, not heddons mouse or other rat baits that are different enough. Rago does not claim to be the first ever to make a rodent type bait. He made his design and his patent protects his design. Its not my patent or design so I cant tell you what is infringing and whats not. If somebody plans on making and selling a rat they should read the patent and make their bait different. If they want to make a rat with Ragos design then its easy. Call him up and work out a deal. Design patents are fairly specific and they do not cover everything. In other words just because a bait is a mouse, rat, rodent, possum etc does not mean its infringing on his patent. It has to be a copy of his design.

Us Patent No. D637,686 S

Its an ornamental design patent. The pictures on the patent show what he is protecting. I think it only has to be changed 10% to not be covered. But from what i see, he claims the tail as part of his design... but makes no reference to whether its rubber or what. The patent isnt very specific and I would think even a change of the joint design would get you into the clear. I dont know but I can tell you one thing, I tried to email and contact Rago about paying him a fee if I decided to sell rat lures. I tried to get ahold of him many many times with no avail. My baits arent like his but I thought hey, Ill see what he says... I got nothing back from him, so he gets nothing from me

Ceaser I have talked to Rago about making certain baits that might be covered under one of his patents. When you do go that route, you are also protected. I have not done it yet but when/if it comes up I will call him. I have never had a problem getting ahold of him by phone. I will pm his # to you.

You missed what I wrote. If a bait infringes upon HIS DESIGN then he could have reason to act. HIS DESIGN, not heddons mouse or other rat baits that are different enough. Rago does not claim to be the first ever to make a rodent type bait. He made his design and his patent protects his design. Its not my patent or design so I cant tell you what is infringing and whats not. If somebody plans on making and selling a rat they should read the patent and make their bait different. If they want to make a rat with Ragos design then its easy. Call him up and work out a deal. Design patents are fairly specific and they do not cover everything. In other words just because a bait is a mouse, rat, rodent, possum etc does not mean its infringing on his patent. It has to be a copy of his design.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I am going to stay out of this one.

Im no fanboy and dont favor bait makers vs bait makers, I fish baits that catch fish. I've caught plenty fish on the BBZ and Im more then sure I'll fish the Rat as well, especially at a great price. I'd buy it, I dont care how its made unless it puts fish in the boat :lol: Im sure the Deps 250 injected models are made by chinese kids too, Its the way it is lol

Im no fanboy and dont favor bait makers vs bait makers, I fish baits that catch fish. I've caught plenty fish on the BBZ and Im more then sure I'll fish the Rat as well, especially at a great price. I'd buy it, I dont care how its made unless it puts fish in the boat :lol: Im sure the Deps 250 injected models are made by chinese kids too, Its the way it is lol

250 is made in Japan, not china. Thats awesome that u just accept child labor as just the way it is and laugh about it :(:( ... stuff like that says alot about a person and who they are. dang, that post ruined my day. Child labor... just the way it is... that can be Okuma and SPROs new slogan!

Bring rat fising to the masses. Thanks again for another genius bait idea Bill!!!! Im sure the kids making 30 cents a day will praise you for making them work 20 hr shifts

Child laborers in China make more like 3-6 cents a day. The most guilty industries are textile, clothing, and fireworks. It is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to go through one's life without purchasing something that was made utilizing child labor. Who's to blame? The consumer, the local government, parents? I certainly don't know the answer. It's complicated. Is there proof that Spro uses child labor? That's a huge assumption to make. The Spro rat will be an affordable alternative for anglers that can't afford $70-150 rat baits though. Does that mean someone who buys one can't or doesn't appreciate hand-made, quality products? Of course not.

Ive seen no proof that they do, but I havent seen any proof that they dont either. But a made in china bait... its not a cheap alternative to custom rats. Spro burned rago once with the BBZ and people say that is a cheap alternative... but now this rat comes out at 40$, yet theres a Rago Alpha rat available on TW right now fro 42.99. They arent offering anything that isnt already available. After the BBZ thing its hard to believe that SPRO and Bill arent doing it just to spite Rago and be D**ks. Its brutal.

Damn you guys are sensi

Looks different enough. Never even heard of it until this post.

BBZ is near indubitable to fish with teeth. Sure some fins might fall of but it holds up better than a wood bait.

I say bring it, competition is good and gets the market honest.