Top hook soft baits

Itsafullmonty

So I have a bunch of top hook soft baits that I've been thinking of giving the good ole butch brown rig. Wanted to know the pros and cons before I got to work. Obviously it's more weedless but is there anymore hook up ratio and does it affect the ROF of the bait.

Thanks

Monty

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the butch brown rig is going to be less weedless. think about this one, single top hook is half the the likelyhood of getting snagged or collecting weeds, do you get more weeds with trebles or single hooks? I feel like the rig has its place, i have a ton of confidence in it with the 8" hudd but let's be realistic, it came out of necessity because the ROF5 and ROF0 were created without a hook.

I wouldn't in a million years go cutting the jig hooks (top hooks) off of my soft baits. Several reasons...

1. the butch brown rig tears baits up.

2. the butch brown rig requires resetting the hook between casts and sometimes comes out of the bait on a cast.

3. it introduces another breaking point, not only could your line snap, your bb rig could also snap if not created correctly.

4. you have to buy special gear to make them.

the rof will not change a noticeable amount. soft baits aren't going to be affected by small weight variances like glides would.

just my 2 cents. like i said, i've got confidence in them on larger baits, i do believe they have a better hook up ratio on larger baits, but i wouldn't at any point go hacking to top hooks off of my baits for the BB rig. i'm sure others will have more input..

the butch brown rig is going to be less weedless. think about this one, single top hook is half the the likelyhood of getting snagged or collecting weeds, do you get more weeds with trebles or single hooks? I feel like the rig has its place, i have a ton of confidence in it with the 8" hudd but let's be realistic, it came out of necessity because the ROF5 and ROF0 were created without a hook.

I wouldn't in a million years go cutting the jig hooks (top hooks) off of my soft baits. Several reasons...

2. the butch brown rig requires resetting the hook between casts and sometimes comes out of the bait on a cast.

3. it introduces another breaking point, not only could your line snap, your bb rig could also snap if not created correctly.

the rof will not change a noticeable amount. soft baits aren't going to be affected by small weight variances like glides would.

just my 2 cents. like i said, i've got confidence in them on larger baits, i do believe they have a better hook up ratio on larger baits, but i wouldn't at any point go hacking to top hooks off of my baits for the BB rig. i'm sure others will have more input..

+1

Idk if I'm re writing this but Ive bb rigged a couple of my hudds but have a bunch of castiacs and hudds still too hooked that I'll most likly leave that way. If anything I'll learn from fish lost since fishing is trial and error. Thanks for the input from everyone this is why I lobe SU underground

BIG ZERO!

BIG ZERO!

Lmao well that doesnt help one bit. I myself have never been explain the benefits of the bb rig. I do know I dont have problems with the top hooks I throw, but thosr are 6 and 7 inch ospreys. Dont lose any fish or have bad hook up ratios so I dont see why I would change. Please explain

I wouldnt bother BB rigging anything other than your hudds. I use a modified BB/mono rig and my landing ratio is pretty much 100%. That inch or two of leader doesnt let them get leverage when shaking their head like they can with the stock hook. Same concept as swiveling hook hangers on hard baits. Just my .02

Never lost a fish on a bb rig. Lost fish on a single jig hook. Maybe its me factoring into dumping fish but I'll stick to the rig that I haven't dumped any on.

I'd say one of the biggest benefits of the BB rig is that it allows you to fish lighter tackle which can be an advantage in clearer or more pressured water. It seems to me that most guys who fish the stock jig hook advocate a "fight 'em when they're in the boat" policy and use some pretty stout tackle. That's perfectly fine if that's your cup of tea. But grinding fish into the boat is not an option for me when I'm fishing 20 or 15 pound test. That's where the BB rig comes in, it helps me keep those hooks pinned for a little extra time while I play the fish. I also use a rod that most people would consider undergunned for the hudd. The fish in my avatar is my pb around 8 pounds and was caught on an 8 inch bb rigged hudd on 20 lb test and a rod that I throw mostly hardbaits on in the 2-4 ounce range. Much more parabolic and forgiving but it still has some backbone once it loads up and it allows me to play the fish without worrying about snapping any of my terminal tackle or having the fish shake off. That's why I use the rig and it's worked for me. But use whatever works for you and gives you a better chance at landing that big fish.

BIG ZERO!

Lmao well that doesnt help one bit. I myself have never been explain the benefits of the bb rig. I do know I dont have problems with the top hooks I throw, but thosr are 6 and 7 inch ospreys. Dont lose any fish or have bad hook up ratios so I dont see why I would change. Please explain

Heres my explanation X 5 = "Experience"

post-185-14253009637129_thumb.jpg

post-185-14253009638545_thumb.jpg

post-185-14253009639027_thumb.jpg

post-185-14253009639654_thumb.jpg

post-185-14253009640754_thumb.jpg

18 fish in a few hours today without losing one fish on the BB rigging throwing a talon and my gill bait. Just to respond my way with an answer for you "Don't change" you ways because of me i'm just being a smart ass...Now its my beer time!