Soft plastic worms are actually swimbaits.

VAngler

DISCLAIMER:

I'm not actually claiming that a senko is a swimbait, the title of this thread was just to get you here but I will be asking if a big 12 inch or larger soft plastic worm is a swimbait (I won't be claiming that it is, just asking the question). Keep in mind that the following is just meant to be a match to ignite a bit of harmless debate. Please leave your feelings at home, and remember - it's okay if someone disagrees with you.

THE ARGUMENT:

I've seen topwater, multi-jointed snakes pop up on the black market and even in the Got 'em section a couple times without any comments like, "That's not a swimbait!" So to start us off on this logical progression lets assume that everyone agrees that topwater snakes are swimbaits. Next, take any 12" topwater snake and imagine what a soft plastic version of that very swimbait would look like . . . you might arrive at a giant plastic worm (unless you've given it Mattlures-like realism). Next look at the action (does it swim?): I use a Manns original 12" jelly worm and it does indeed "swim" in a serpentine manner when retrieved at a moderate pace (video evidence can be provided). Finally, don't a lot of us fish hudd-type baits very slowly along the bottom, bumping it every once in a while . . . I think you know where I'm going with this (that's exactly how most people fish a worm). Ipso facto, a 12" softplastic worm is a swimbait. *Mind Blown* :lol: this is all for fun guys so don't take it too seriously.

Don't let me down, I know there are a lot of opinionated people on here! I just find it intriguing to think that arguably the oldest artificial method of catching bass could technically fall into the category of a swimbait :shock: . . . maybe I'm the only one but I love the irony here :lol:

Here's the SU poll to add to this:

What is your definition of a swimbait?

Any bait that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species 50% [228]

Any bait 4" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species 14% [66]

Any bait 6" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species 27% [123]

Any bait 8" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species 4% [19]

Any bait 10" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species 1% [3]

Any bait 6" or larger 3% [15]

Any Bait 8" or larger 1% [5]

I think as with reels, rods, line, etc. it's open to a persons interpretation :!:

Isn't the definition of a swimbait a bait that swims? Snakes swim, worms crawl. I mean I don't know a single person that straight swims a 12" worm, its not natural, they were made to be crawled. The only thing that you can compare the two and say about 12" worms and bigger grade swimbaits are that they would be referred to as "big baits". On saying "big baits", we can categorize what we want to call baits that are not actual swimbaits but are bigger than what most people will throw. So in my opinion, 12" worm = big bait, not swimbait, but my opinion could always be wrong somehow :roll:

Does it swim? No

Would anyone really consider it a swimbait? (Most likely) No

Ya it's a big bait, but this ain't big bait underground

hahaha straight and to the point - I like it! Clearly nobody would in a serious argument insist that it is a swimbait but I disagree with you on the swimming facet. It does in my opinion swim. Again, I will provide a video of one swimming if you still disagree.

Does it swim? No

hahaha straight and to the point - I like it! Clearly nobody would in a serious argument insist that it is a swimbait but I disagree with you on the swimming facet. It does in my opinion swim. Again, I will provide a video of one swimming if you still disagree.

Im kinda curious to see this video. If it's a bait that imitates a snake, I could somewhat see your point. But I'm just curious on how you swim a big soft plastic worm lol

Does it swim? No

Im kinda curious to see this video. If it's a bait that imitates a snake, I could somewhat see your point. But I'm just curious on how you swim a big soft plastic worm lol

I was hoping that I'd have to make good on this video :lol: my pool is covered up so it might have to wait until this weekend but I'll do my best to get a video ASAP.

it doesnt really portray a fish either.

Rat wake baits are popular swimbaits that don't portray a fish

true, but where are you going with this anyways?? there is still a large gap between saying "i caught a bass on a 12 inch worm" and saying "i caught a bass on a swimbait"

Isn't the definition of a swimbait a bait that swims? Snakes swim, worms crawl. I mean I don't know a single person that straight swims a 12" worm, its not natural, they were made to be crawled.

A lot of great sticks will tell you to think outside the box when it comes to trophy bass fishing. I'll work in a swim in clear water when retrieving a 12" worm on a hot day. I haven't gotten any hits on the the swim but I've not tried it enough times for me to say that it doesn't work. In my opinion you'd be naive to say that a bass wouldn't hit a swimming 12" worm(snake)